VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or maybe it was the other way round.

Some time ago I came across some information on this and didn't bookmark it, does anyone have this info or know where to find it please? From what I remember it said something like find the Kdenlive ffmpeg folder, copy the Shotcut ffmpeg folder over and tell Kdenlive to use that folder instead.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My initial reaction was to mock you mercilessly, pointing out the impossibility of using features from one NLE in another NLE, for example someone wanting to use Vegas features in Premiere and vice versa, primarily because the obvious response is that they are 2 different NLEs and if you want to use the features of one NLE then just use that NLE.

But I am a devout user of Shotcut on Manjaro and then I remembered the Shotcut road map:

https://shotcut.org/roadmap/

better support for foreign MLT XML (e.g. Kdenlive
    )

It's the ability to use Kdenlive's "features", but if you're working on a project in Kdenlive and save an MLT you can open it in Shotcut and in theory it should treat it as a native MLT.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish by "combining features"?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As you know Shotcut and Kdenlive use the same "engines", MLT, frei0r, ffmpeg, but I hadn't thought of taking parts from one and using them in the other, I'm not sure I'm capable of it anyway without some instructions. The info I found started me thinking.

Currently I use Cinelerra-GG on Manjaro KDE, but I just changed my camera to one that records UHD in 10-bit and while Cin-GG handles it well enough, my alternative NLE, Kdenlive, clamps it to broadcast restricted range. Enter Shotcut which doesn't. I like it, it's good, but has some things I find necessary, missing, so if I can use Shotcut's full range effects section in Kdenlive it would save me changing my preferred order of operation. I never edit bigger projects in one step anyway, so if I do the 10-bit stuff in Shotcut, render an 8-bit ProRes intermediate and import it into Kdenlive, I can do the rest in there. It means I would have to do colour correction first rather than later, but it is a workable solution.

I found the information while searching for something else and, since I didn't need it at the time, didn't bookmark it. I sort of wish I had, but if I bookmarked everything that looked interesting my list would be as long as War And Peace!

Belated edit: I guess the real reason is, I want to find out if it works.
    Last edited by DeJay; 21st Jul 2019 at 05:20.
    Quote Quote