VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using xmedia recode on Windows 10 and I want to move to Ubuntu. I've been looking around and I cannot find a suitable replacement.

Any recommendations? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. thanks for the link. looking at the available options, seems nothing that could compare to xmedia recode in Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can I get personal recommendation from users on ffmpeg GUI for Ubuntu ? QWinFF looks interesting, but it asks for ffprobe as a dependency. I currently does not have it.

Which one do you guys use ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on whether you want to do simple video editing, or just transcoding. Avidemux will do simple editing and conversion, otherwise Winff and Handbrake only transcode. I have been using Winff to transcode video to an intermediate codec for editing and Handbrake to convert my final output to a delivery format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
    ... QWinFF looks interesting, but it asks for ffprobe as a dependency. I currently does not have it. ...
    How did you try to install it?

You don't say which distro you're using so I'm going to assume Ubuntu, which uses the Debian packaging system. YMMV.

But in Ubuntu, unless you're compiling/building from source, the packagew manager will install dependencies for you. If I have to compile/build an app in Ubuntu I don't want it. Ubuntu is the largest distro and there should be a .deb file or ppa if it isn't in the repos. The last thing I built from source was a backported wireless driver.

To the OP's question, I don't think you're going to find a Linux clone of Xmedia Recode.

For conversion I use Avidemux or Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Qwinff looks indeed promising but it is not available for Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) from the author's ppa.
    Only for older versions of Ubuntu
    Quote Quote