VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have Ubuntu 17.04 running on a 24-core Xeon, I can get around 43fps doing X.265 transcodes with 4-5 copies of handbrake-cli running.

Does anyone know a way to easily split a mkv movie in to four, feed that in to handbrake-cli and then join the outputted mkv's together seamlessly?

I'm researching mkvmerge split functionality but it doesn't look like a foolproof way to seamlessly join and keep audio and subs in sync (to do with having to cut on key (IDR) frames).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by rthorntn View Post
    I'm researching mkvmerge split functionality but it doesn't look like a foolproof way to seamlessly join and keep audio and subs in sync (to do with having to cut on key (IDR) frames).
    The IDR limitations you hint at exist with almost all programs. Exceptions are editors that re-encode on the cuts like SolveigMM Video Splitter (AFAIK).

The "proper" solution would be to cut in the lossless domain. I.e. write a VapourSynth script with e.g. ffms2 source filter and trimming/slicing. Then pipe that into e.g. x265cli binary. Encode audio separately and as last step merge everything using mkvmerge. With HandBrake this would be difficult.

Or you do use mkvtoolnix for splitting after all but make sure it's just at the IDR frames. Not having many or any IDR frames is mostly a problem with OpenGOP encodings. I don't know what sources you are working with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks sneaker
    Quote Quote