VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, about 7 years back I made my first attempt at building a HTPC using a desktop (full-height) case, an ASUS M5A88-M motherboard with AMD processor, a Hauppauge tuner/capture card, and OpenELEC. It was a learning experience; one of the first things I learned was that I needed to check driver availability and compatibility before buying hardware...I never was able to find a Linux driver for the Hauppauge card, and the AMD64 CPU and 8GB RAM was overkill for a HTPC.

Fast forward 7 years. The Hauppauge card is now in a Windows 10 tower, where it is very happy. My current HTPC is a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC and networked to my home NAS server. The former HTPC is now running Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS, which it does quite well, although it hasn't got a whole lot of hands-on usage lately.

I still would like to be able to use the Linux box as a PVR and capture machine. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for an ATSC tuner and analog capture card under Linux, new or used? Here are the requirements:
    • Fit in a single PCIe-x1 or legacy PCI slot (half or full height). Alternatively, I will consider a USB device; I have four open USB 3.0 ports.
    • Compatible with Kodi. I use NextPVR on the Windows machine, and ideally I'd like to be able to watch a recorded broadcast on any of my devices running Kodi.
    • Preferably dual ATSC tuners.
    • Drivers to operate under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS; preferably with current support for future upgrades.

Suggestions are welcomed.
    --------Eric H. Bowen; USN Battleship Veteran (USS Missouri, BB-63, 1985-88)
    16" Armor Piercing - When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge has historically provided pretty good (but not perfect) support for Linux users, although as a Windows user, I can't say I have personally benefited from it.

There is the Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD with 4 ATSC tuners if you don't really need NTSC tuning or SD analog capture very badly. Linux detais: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-quadHD_(ATSC_ClearQAM))

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2255 dual ATSC/NTSC tuner card with SD analog capture is discontinued now. From what I have seen of late, third-party sellers are often asking ridiculously high prices for them, although Hauppage's web store still lists them for sale at $99. Hauppauge support recommends looking at the LinuxTV page for the card: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2255 For customization of the Linux driver, Hauppauge support suggests sending an e-mail message to: davidz@hauppauge.com I somehow missed this -- It looks like analog capture won't work when using Linux. Sorry about that

[Edit]The only other current dual ATSC tuner devices with Linux support that I'm aware of are the HDHomerun Connect and the HDHomerun Extend These are networkable devices rather than PCI-e. Linux page: https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/ These devices work best with a wired network connection. They have no analog capabilities.

I use SiliconDust's HDHomerun Prime CableCARD tuner (another networkable device) for cable TV, which I like very much. My experience with SiliconDust support was great.

The only other non-Hauppauge dual ATSC tuner card I ever saw (I had two) was the Avermedia Duet, and it had no Linux support. The Duet cards I had lasted less than a year.

[Edit 2]I have the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, the older brother of the HVR-2250. It also lacks support for analog tuning and capture under Linux.

Here is a chart from LinuxTV for Hauppauge products: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Feb 2017 at 10:12. Reason: Link to LinuxTV for the WinTV-QuadHD was invalid
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote