VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a set of about 500 videos... each of these has a variable length static image (multiple repeating frames) at the start and end of the clip (and sometimes in the middle)...

I'm looking to cut down the static image frame time from whatever variable length it currently is, to a maximum of 5 seconds of the static image before and after the remainder of the "action sequences" in the video...

Because I have so many, manually opening each of them and trimming off the static sections is EXTREMELY cumbersome, so I'm hoping there is a way to do this programmatically... I've been looking into things like decimate and mpdecimate for ffmpeg (since that's what I'm using to encode the video it would be nice to use the same tool).. I'm also running all of this exclusively on linux, so don't want to have to switch to a windows platform just for this piece if i can avoid it.

To give some clarification (as I'm fairly new to video manipulation and not sure exactly what the lingo is yet).

My Video Input: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAbcdefghijklMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMnop qrstuvWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Note that the length of times for A/M/W being displayed are variable and so using something like M-in-N frames doesn't seem like it would work (though I'm not sure)...

I'd like to get as Output: AAbcdefghijklMMnopqrstuvWW

Where i can define the maximum length of A/M/W, if the found section is shorter, then I don't need to extend the section, just keep it to a maximum length of x seconds... Defining something like a "minimum length A/M/W are" in order to be considered a chunk worth editing would be a nice add-on ability to this if possible... so that I could say something like "If the section is <10 seconds of repetition, just skip it, but if it's >10 seconds, then cut it down to 5 seconds"

Also note that there is an audio stream on these videos, so whatever sections of video get cut, the respective audio needs to get cut as well so it doesn't end up out of sync...

I appreciate any thoughts y'all can provide... I suspect there is a way to do this, but I'm just too new to understand things like scene detection and decimate algorithms yet so looking for some advice on how to get started...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed your title to 'with Linux'. You will get a lot less MS software suggestions that way.

And welcome our forums.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the linux forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thanks guys... hopefully enough people visit in here to help out
    Quote Quote  
  5. On your place i would check -vf select='gt(scene\,0.4)' where 0.4 is scene detection sensitivity - with proper sensitivity setting you may try to find all those places automatically (places where no change of content occurs). More at https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#select_002c-aselect - good luck.
    Quote Quote