VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to do this? All the instructions I have seen are about installing Linux side-by-side with Chrome, using Crouton. I want to completely delete Chrome and install only Linux. If I am able to boot off an installation USB drive, why would I not be able to install Linux, if the Chromebook's hardware is compatible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only one way to find out.........

I have Linux installed on all my PC's, Laptop and NetBook. I don't have a ChromeBook, but if I did, I would try installing it also.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To the best of my knowledge your going to have to run side by side, I haven't seen any methods to do otherwise.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Teutatis View Post
    Is it possible to do this? All the instructions I have seen are about installing Linux side-by-side with Chrome, using Crouton. I want to completely delete Chrome and install only Linux. If I am able to boot off an installation USB drive, why would I not be able to install Linux, if the Chromebook's hardware is compatible?
    Chromebooks are just regular laptops that run Chrome OS, a Linux based OS (i.e. it uses the Linux kernel as it's core). So the limiting factor would be the laptop hardware that said OS is running on. I currently use Linux as my sole OS on all my computers, 2 old laptops, and 3 custom built home brew systems, on a variety of hardware. I have used pretty much tried every distro you can name and my personal recommendation is OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, as long as your laptop has a 64bit processor.

Note: I have found instances where a distro will work on a laptop in "live usb" mode, i.e. when it's running off a thumb drive but will have numerous issues when it's actually installed on a harddrive.
    Quote Quote