VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

My HDD is out. I need to change it.
    So I did it. I installed my Windows 7.

My setup : VCR JVC - Panasonic ES-10 - Canopus ADVC 110

Settings are the same. Nothing changed. I use Virtualdub.
    I plugged my Canopus for the first time and I let Windows doing the drivers installation

I tried PAL capture : no problem. So I changed my settings to SECAM.
    I tried SECAM capture = black and white.

What can I do ? Re-install one of my driver myself ? Or Canopus needs something else to work ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The advc 110 models supporting secam got a serial number higher than 774841.
    Source : https://www.repaire.net/forums/discussions/canopus-advc-100-et-secam.152511/
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had no problems on my previous HDD/Windows 7 installation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Could be the ES-10 not setup correctly for SECAM, Try to take out of the workflow for easy troublshooting. Always use procss of elimination.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you switching TV system on the ADVC? Unless the variant sold in France is different, the ES10 normally outputs in PAL regardless of whether the input is PAL or SECAM so if you change the ADVC to SECAM it might not work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Could be the ES-10 not setup correctly for SECAM, Try to take out of the workflow for easy troublshooting. Always use procss of elimination.
    I'm gonna try.

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Are you switching TV system on the ADVC? Unless the variant sold in France is different, the ES10 normally outputs in PAL regardless of whether the input is PAL or SECAM so if you change the ADVC to SECAM it might not work.
    I bought Canopus from Canada. ES10 is set on PAL and I can capture PAL/SECAM without problems.
    Now it's worse. Each time I tried something, I have to plug/unplug ADVC (because no button ON/OFF).

Now when I plug ADVC, I see the blue light but no answer on Windows (no plug sound). Not recognized. I really think Windows is the problem (driver and/or codec)...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was the ES10 a more recent acquisition.

Reading the manual, there are subtle differences between PAL input and Secam input. For PAL the country setting would be UK or other Western European countries (excluding France). None of these country settings support Secam (if I read correctly). For Secam you specifically set the country to France - for native Secam-L.

Now it gets more complicated if the Secam is not native L but ME.

I can not comment on if the ES10 outputs as PAL regardless of PAL or Secam input but that is a feature of Secam-ME (record Secam as PAL)

Now if the Canopus110 works like my 300, there are two dip-switches. First you set NTSC IRE to 'on' (7.5). Then you set Video Format to on (PAL). Then you have the Canopus ready to accept Secam input (assuming that the ES10 is actually outputing it). However the output from the ADVC is actually PAL and video caputure would be set accordingly. For PAL input, NTSC IRE is set to 'off' (0)

Hope this helps.

BTW My ADVC dies have a power button on the back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. And btw. That driver that Win7 installs has zilch to do with the ADVC. The OS has detected that either direct on the MB or an add-in card you have a 1394/firewire connection and the MS driver is installed regardless. Again, if you are no longer using Win7 drivers require installation.

But if you are having power-on issues that could well relate to the external power supply >> 220/240 volt >> 12 volt IIRC. My own ADVC ps 'blew' some years back and required replacing. Since the US/Canada uses 110/120 volt you could not use a ps as supllied.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The ES-10 will always output PAL for 50 Hz (yes, even the ones sold in France). So for the ADVC further down the path it will be standard PAL, not SECAM!
    The global TV System setting on the ES-10 needs to be set to PAL. Country settings are relevant only for the analog tuner, not for line inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Thx for the clarity about the ES10 and output. I should have realised since many moons ago I subscribed to a French digital service which was PAL.

We may now be nearer to a 'solution'. The OP has stated that he has recorded many times - assume he meant the ES10 but is not so clear. Then that recording is actually PAL and not Secam. So I now wonder if the ES10 will accept Secam at line input and even if it does it will still output that as PAL. So both the ADVC and capture software would be set as PAL. Secam is only relevant for the ADVC and even then, if it works like the 300, the recording source is still PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The OP didn't clarify the need for a DVD recorder, If the ADVC copes with SECAM on its own why bother with the ES10? Sometimes they make the capture worse. He can post sample clips with and without the ES10 and the members can point out the cons and pros.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    The ES-10 will always output PAL for 50 Hz (yes, even the ones sold in France). So for the ADVC further down the path it will be standard PAL, not SECAM!
    The global TV System setting on the ES-10 needs to be set to PAL. Country settings are relevant only for the analog tuner, not for line inputs.
    They also auto-switch between SECAM and PAL on the input side so you don't have to specify that manually.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The OP didn't clarify the need for a DVD recorder, If the ADVC copes with SECAM on its own why bother with the ES10? Sometimes they make the capture worse. He can post sample clips with and without the ES10 and the members can point out the cons and pros.
    I use ES10 because of the TBC/stabilizer inside. I repeat : before, on my previous HDD/Win7 installation, everything worked great.
    ES10 on PAL mode. Then, I can capture with ADVC110 PAL or SECAM and get colors.

But today, the problem is different : Win7 doesn't recognize my ADVC on the firewire plug.
    I changed the IEEE1394 driver with "legacy" and no "legacy" mode : same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Recognizing your ADVC over firewire has nothing to do with the DVD recorder as far as I know. You made your case sounds like the DVD recorder is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I took a new PCI Firewire card to put on motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Now I can capture again with the new PCI Firewire. And I removed ES10 : I got the colors back with SECAM.
    I had no problems with it before. Too bad, going back to his box. Was probably a good tool to correct the audio/video signal...
    Quote Quote