VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nvidia Shadow Play under Windows 7 splits files at P frames with no option to split at an I frame. I can join the files using avidemux but at the point where the files are split, the joined video will go blank for about half a second. I was told on the Nvidia forums that this is due to Shadow Play splitting the files at a P frame rather than an I frame and that despite the whole GOP being present, the video decoder does not recognize the second half of the GOP on the second file as a continuation of the first half of the GOP present in the first file and hence fails to decode it correctly.

Is there any solution to this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use OBS instead, it will make a recorded file as large as you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately OBS, on my system, doesn't seem to be able to record at 60fps (lots of frame drops).
    Quote Quote  
  4. no clue what shadow play does, but if if blindly slits files maybe simply appending the split files bit wise works,...
    Code:
    copy /B *.mp4 merged.mp4
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the reply and excuse my ignorance but where do I type that? Command Prompt? Avisynth? Something else?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oberon2019 View Post
    Unfortunately OBS, on my system, doesn't seem to be able to record at 60fps (lots of frame drops).
    Are you using the Nvidia encoder and not x264, as OBS should have access to the exact same hardware on your system as shadowplay. You just have to select the right encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Command Prompt?
    That call is meant to be used inside a 'Windows Command Prompt' it uses the 'copy' command, tells it to work in 'binary'-mode and should merge all the .mp4 files inside the current directory into a file called merged.mp4.
    -> if you don't know your way around the command prompt this is probably not a solution. Then you should better use HSplit (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393431-hSplit-small-command-line-tool-that-lets-yo...and-join-files) or similar to test whether a binary copy works with those files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. KarMa - I tried anything with OBS. It just doesn't work properly for me possibly because my CPU is quite old but thanks for the suggestions.

Solur - I tried the command prompt. It did produce a very large file but when played back the length of the file is revealed as that of the first truncated file and when it reaches that time it stops as if the rest of the data isn't there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, was worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oberon2019 View Post
    KarMa - I tried anything with OBS. It just doesn't work properly for me possibly because my CPU is quite old but thanks for the suggestions.
    My last suggestion with OBS. You are on Windows 7 like me, which is why I have OBS turn off Windows Aero whenever it runs. For whatever reason Windows 7 Aero just simply does not work with OBS and will turn my videos into a glitchy mess. https://obsproject.com/wiki/How-to-enable-or-disable-Aero-in-Windows-7
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by oberon2019 View Post
    Solur - I tried the command prompt. It did produce a very large file but when played back the length of the file is revealed as that of the first truncated file and when it reaches that time it stops as if the rest of the data isn't there.
    What might work is to demux the video streams from each of the source files to raw h.264 streams, then append them with the copy/b command.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks KarMa. I will try that tomorrow.

Jagabo, that looks terribly complicated. Demux video and audio, Join video. Join audio. Re Mux. It's really too much work for the amount of files I have to deal with, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by oberon2019 View Post
    Thanks KarMa. I will try that tomorrow.

Jagabo, that looks terribly complicated. Demux video and audio, Join video. Join audio. Re Mux. It's really too much work for the amount of files I have to deal with, but thanks for the suggestion.
    I suggest you try it and see if it works. All you have to do is demux a pair of videos, append the two streams, then join them. It will take you a minute or two. If it works you know it can be done, if it doesn't work you probably won't be able to do it with anything without reencoding.

And if it works it can all be done with a batch file. Once you have it working it's even simpler than using a GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried this: loaded the video in AVIDemux, set to video only and saved the file but I can't open the .raw with any program I have (avidemux, vdub, vdub2 and VLC).

As for OBS, tried everything but still doesn't go. I tested almost every encoder and resolution available.
    Quote Quote  
  15. AviDemux doesn't appear to demux correctly. Here's an ffmpeg batch file that will do it.

Code:
    "g:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~dpnx1" -vcodec copy -an "%~dpn1.h264"
    Put that in a batch file and change the path to ffmpeg.exe to reflect where it is on your computer. You can then drag/drop any AVC source video onto the batch file to demux the video as an h.264 elementary stream. A source like video1.mp4 will produce video1.h264.

Use that to produce elementary streams from the first two files of one of your caps. Then use the copy command to append the two:

Code:
    copy/b video1.h264+video2.h264 appended.h264
    Play the resulting h264 stream in any player that supports it, VLC for example. See if there is still a problem at the point where the split was.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The video now plays to the end but the first non-I frames still get skipped. Also, I can't re-encode the video since there is no program that will decode the first non-I frame frames. The only thing that used to work was the re-encoding done by YouTube. I would feed the video with the "damaged" frames and the output on YT would be fine (that's why I know the data must still be there. But since their last update this no longer works.
    Quote Quote