VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I'm trying to create a gui for command line tools. I'm new to programming and am trying to teach myself by reading tutorials over the net. I have been playing around with sharpdevelop (C#, VB.NET and Boo projects) and netbeans (JAVA). I have figured out how to design the gui in both of them only haven't yet figured out how to code the actions for when you click (but I will learn).

What IDE do you recommend for simple gui designing. Preferably opensource as this is something that I will be doing in my spare time and not for a living so I don't want to spend any/much money. Also If you know any good C# or VB.NET tutorials or books please send a link.

Much thanks.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SharpDevelop (been a while since I used it), or Visual Studio Express would be my choice. Java is cool, but if Windows is your target, NetBeans is not nearly as good as IDE, and the UI you can create... well... lacks the native Windows feel.
    If you're new to programming, I'd suggest something more OOP than VB, like c#. It's very much like Java.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes windows is the target. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Bada bump badabump bada bump bump bump.

Just seeing if anyone else has any other suggestions. Thanks mats I am looking into C#.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PureBasic
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering, if i can get Super Video Converter as command line tool Can i
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As far as I know Super is just a gui front end for ffmpeg and mencoder. Those are both commandline tools.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i do agree but Super Converter seems to know which encoder to use when it comes to different types of files.Can any one tell me how does it estimate whether a file can be converter using ffmpeg or not ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm really not sure as I hardly ever use super. You will probably get more responses if you start a new thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...or ask the authors of Super? I'd guess they're the only ones who know what Super really does behind the scenes.
    OTOH, quality wise, I rate Super pretty low - IMO, its only reason for existence is its wide spectrum of input/output formats. I'd only use it as a last desperate resort, when all other options are exhausted.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For another suggestion, from a different discussion here on VideoHelp, I found this: GUI4CLI. Not sure how easy it actually is, or how well it works, as I haven't experimented with it, yet. (Admittedly, it's an IDE for its own script language, from what I've seen, and not C, VB, Java, etc.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote