VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to FCPX & iMAC and am importing my DV home videos from a Panasonic DV953 camera into FCPX via direct DV output (Firewire) into Thunderbolt 2 on a late 2015 iMAC i5 with 24GB RAM. I am trying to do this on the cheap without extra hardware (fancy stuff like Time Based Correction, etc). I have made it thru the learning curve of How To and where are my files, etc, pretty well but am seeing the following issue:

When importing some of my home videos (but not all as some of them import just fine), the audio cuts off within certain clips, comes back in the next clip, cuts off again seemingly at random. I am assuming it is some kind of thru put issue but it is causing me problems because I have over 200 hours of video to import (3TB) and then edit into highlight videos. This is a hobby and I do not want to start buying pro equipment. I also saw this on another import of a video where my son was playing guitar and the audio would also cut off, go out of synch (but on re-import of small scenes the audio would be fine). The best way the show this is the following pics which include the wave form:

Pic 1 - Audio drops out during this clip. This clip is one of the many clips that FCPX created during the Import Media function of a ~2 hour DV tape. The rest of the clips can be seen in Pic 4.
    [Attachment 51063 - Click to enlarge]

Pic 2 - No Audio drop during the Import Media function of only that single ~30 second part of the DV tape. I manually advanced the DV tape on the camera to the same scene in Pic 1 and them did Import Media for ~30 seconds.
    [Attachment 51064 - Click to enlarge]

Pic 3 - These are my Import Media settings which I consistently use.
    [Attachment 51065 - Click to enlarge]

Pic 4 - This is a snap shot of my workspace and you can see the ~2 hour Import and the single ~30 second Import highlighted in yellow.
    [Attachment 51067 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Am pretty sure the issue is an incompatibilty with the recorded sample rate and the final sample rate.

If you have a short clip that you have set the sample rate & have not changed it at all, the cam and capturing app can lock onto it and change the clip sample rate to match.
    If there is a glitch at the beginning, or if you capture multiple camera takes in a single app clip - especially if you changed the samplerate for a subsequent take, the app cannot reset the samplerate from its first assumption, so it will not recognize those subsequent takes' audio, even though it has no issue with the video. Kinda like if you switched the cam from ntsc to pal mid-stream.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd test turning off "analyze and fix audio errors". it may be causing them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia,

You are a genius ! The beginning of the tape had some squirrelly video/audio as an outside shot with wind and sporadic talking (my wife - LOL). I re-imported the video starting after that scene and the entire video/audio imported beautifully.

Thank You very much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aedipuss,

Thank you also, turning off the "analyze and fix audio errors" also worked.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Glad to help.

Scott
    Quote Quote