VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've ripped a copy of a movie to hard drive. It has multiple languages available for it. Now when I use DVD Shrink to write it to DVD, I always get French titles and not the English ones I desire. I know the English titles are there because when play the VOB files with the title sequence, the English titles play first. Any ideas why this would happen and how I could get the English titles to play? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you set Shrink for English in 'Stream Selections>Preferences'? I usually disable subs and alternate languages as I don't need them. Some DVDs may not have English as the first language, but a US made one should.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do not you try to select French instead of English. It is quite possible that streams are marked wrong way.
    Preview with software player before burn, to not to ruin DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    SIX AND A HALF YEARS between your only posts here? Is that a record for this website?

Dude, seriously, if you had paid attention to the forum and read it from time to time instead only twice in almost 7 years you probably would have already solved this yourself.

Anyway, your post is completely unclear as to whether you are talking about selecting English language subs or English language audio, but tinker is probably right that whatever you want, it's probably got the wrong name on it. It's not difficult to associate a wrong language name with an audio or subtitle stream so it's certainly possible for this to be an authoring mistake on the original DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. WOW! Flamed for the length of time between posts... that's a first for me. I'll try swapping the French and English streams in DVD Shrink. Thanks for the help Tinker. And I apologize for not reading the forum more often. I'll tell my wife and kids to leave me alone already... I'm trying to read the VideoHelp Forum!
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK. Tried selecting French stream instead of English and still got the French titles. And what I meant, to clarify for jman98, is that when I insert the DVD, instead of the English buttons such as "Play Movie" and "Extras" I get the French equivalent. It's not French subtitles or French audio. In fact, when I selected French stream in DVD Shrink, I get no audio at all. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Make sure your DVD player is set to English,if that doesn't help then something is screwy with the DVD.
    What is the DVD you are trying to backup?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What did you use for ripping?
    It sounds like it ripped larger file and that one is French part of DVD. Sometime they have two identical movies, with differene language on DVD.
    Try Descriptor or RipIt4Me and rip whole DVD, than use Shrink ti fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so instead of "titles" you should have said "menu". How can you not know that word?

Can't help you with menu problems, but honestly your life would be a lot easier if you'd just use an online tool like Babelfish to look up the few words in French on the menu rather than spend a long time trying to figure out why you can't see an English language menu. You should be able to see an English menu from your rip, if one exists, but since providing helpful information doesn't seem to be your thing, not much we can do here to help. We don't know what you did to rip so maybe you didn't rip properly or maybe there aren't any English language menus to begin with and you are just assuming that they exist. By the way my nephew who was 16 at the time figured out how to correctly navigate a menu completely in Japanese on a DVD and correctly play his movie so I'd think that you can probably do the same in French.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So I ask for help and I get a lecture on the following:
    1. How I haven't posted in a long time.
    2. How easy this issue is and I should have solved it a long time ago.
    3. I'm really not into providing information.
    4. I've used the incorrect terminology.
    5. That I should learn French.
    6. And that jman98 has a nephew that figured out Japanese menus... WHOPPEE!

Well maybe my next post will be another 6 yrs from now. Thank you tinker and moviegeek for the help. I'll will continue to troubleshoot and let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote