VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys.

I have read a lot of the threads here about xmedia recode, but i can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I have been using xmedia recode for a lot of years, since it was able to convert mkv to m4v/mp4 files.

But the other day i really got a look at the settings, and started wandering, what the optimal settings for blu-rays are?
    Settings where i don't loose any data in both picture and sound?

Example. - I have a file thats 4:2:0, is it possible to make that 4:4:4 ? And i have noticed that some of the black areas kind of get blurred out? or is that a fault in the movie it self?

[Attachment 41987 - Click to enlarge]
    <--- this is what my settings look like right now. What should i change?

Storage space is not a main concern, that beeing said, i don't want files that are 100 GB, but 25-30 GB files is not a problem.
    And i stream the movies from a server, to my apple tv (4th gen)

If i'm not in the right thread, the please direct me to the correct one.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Leave 4:2:0 sources at 4:2:0. Converting 4:2:0 -> 4:4:4 only makes sense when downscaling and even then 4:4:4 is probably not compatible with Apple TV.

1:1 movie-only backups from Blu-ray are often about 25 GB. So could just not re-encode and keep the full video quality by setting "Mode" to "Copy". (If you convert choose "Constant Quality", not "Constant Quantizer".)
    Can your streaming server send MKV to Apple TV? MakeMKV decrypts Blu-rays directly to MKV without quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Leave 4:2:0 sources at 4:2:0. Converting 4:2:0 -> 4:4:4 only makes sense when downscaling and even then 4:4:4 is probably not compatible with Apple TV.

1:1 movie-only backups from Blu-ray are often about 25 GB. So could just not re-encode and keep the full video quality by setting "Mode" to "Copy". (If you convert choose "Constant Quality", not "Constant Quantizer".)
    Can your streaming server send MKV to Apple TV? MakeMKV decrypts Blu-rays directly to MKV without quality loss.
    Thanks for the help.

When i copy the file it doesn't come out the same size as the mkv file? Original files size 14 GB - Output is 9 GB?
    Yes in theory it can play mkv files, but i have had problems ind the past, where mkv doesn't play, since the file inside the mkv container isn't compatible with apple tv, and therefor the need to make them m4v/mp4 files.

If i choose constant quality, what should the quality be set to? right now it is set to 20? what will happen if i go up or down?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Uffen90 View Post
    When i copy the file it doesn't come out the same size as the mkv file? Original files size 14 GB - Output is 9 GB?
    Did you set copy for all tracks or just video? Audio tracks on Blu-rays can be quite big so it makes a difference whether you copy them or re-encode to e.g. lossy AAC. If your source container is m2ts converting to mp4/mkv will also reduce the container overhead.

Originally Posted by Uffen90 View Post
    If i choose constant quality, what should the quality be set to? right now it is set to 20? what will happen if i go up or down?
    Only you can decide. Test and see.
    Lower value = higher quality/bigger file
    Higher value = lower quality/smaller file
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Did you set copy for all tracks or just video? Audio tracks on Blu-rays can be quite big so it makes a difference whether you copy them or re-encode to e.g. lossy AAC. If your source container is m2ts converting to mp4/mkv will also reduce the container overhead.

Only you can decide. Test and see.
    Lower value = higher quality/bigger file
    Higher value = lower quality/smaller file
    I tried copy, but it would only let me copy the video track, the audio track has to be converted, i've tried both FDK-ACC and AC3, both have to be converted.
    I don't know if it's m2ts? Don't know where to see that? - When i open up the container, it says DTS-HD master audio?

Okay, thanks for that, i wasn't sure what way to go to make it higher quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Uffen90 View Post
    I tried copy, but it would only let me copy the video track, the audio track has to be converted, i've tried both FDK-ACC and AC3, both have to be converted.
    "Copy" is chosen under "Mode" (directly above "Codec").
    But it's ok. I didn't tell you to copy audio, just trying to explain why file might be smaller than original even if video track is copied 1:1. Chances are you cannot play DTS-HD audio on the Apple anyways, i.e. conversion to AAC or AC3 is required.

I don't know if it's m2ts? Don't know where to see that?
    File name extension is a good hint. MediaInfo if you want to be sure. But again: not important. Just trying to explain file size difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    "Copy" is chosen under "Mode" (directly above "Codec").
    But it's ok. I didn't tell you to copy audio, just trying to explain why file might be smaller than original even if video track is copied 1:1. Chances are you cannot play DTS-HD audio on the Apple anyways, i.e. conversion to AAC or AC3 is required.

I don't know if it's m2ts? Don't know where to see that?
    File name extension is a good hint. MediaInfo if you want to be sure. But again: not important. Just trying to explain file size difference.
    Ah okay, think i figured out why it doens't show up with copy in audio. I have the format pre set to apple tv, so your hunch about apple tv and dts is most likely the best explernation.
    And with that in mind. Copying the video track will mean lossless video quality? - But when i convert the audio track, which i have to? What is the best option? FDK-ACC or AC3? and what bitrate would be best? Since my setup is 5.1?
    Last edited by Uffen90; 21st Jun 2017 at 15:51.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I usually go for 640kbps AC3 for 5.1 but mostly because of compatibility. If the Blu-ray uses AC3 audio you should then also be able to just copy the audio. Try what works for your player/receiver combo and go with that. (That said, I'd expect Fraunhofer to be more efficient than the AC3 encoder)

Copying the video track will mean lossless video quality?
    Correct.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I usually go for 640kbps AC3 for 5.1 but mostly because of compatibility. If the Blu-ray uses AC3 audio you should then also be able to just copy the audio. Try what works for your player/receiver combo and go with that. (That said, I'd expect Fraunhofer to be more efficient than the AC3 encoder)

Copying the video track will mean lossless video quality?
    Correct.
    Thanks. Well this have been very helpfull.
    I have really learned a lot in the last 24 hours.
    I think I'll stick with Fraunhofer, as far as i remember, none of my previous files that have been encoded with that have had any problems. My main concern was the bitrate.
    I'll try out 640kbps Fraunhofer, insted of 320kbps.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote