VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm editing video in the latest Premiere, hence why I put the topic here, however it's not totally where the issue lies. I am running Windows 10 on a laptop and a desktop. Video footage was recorded on a Samsung S20 Ultra cell phone and a Samsung S21 Ultra cell phone. I copied it over to an external hard drive. I've been doing this for months. I have maybe 8 videos on YouTube currently.. some are a combination of both phones. Both phones are shooting in the same 1920x1080@30. I copied the files over via USB cable to the hard drive.

My friends videos display fine.. ie: the image is close to what you see on the cell phone. On the latest batch of videos, my videos look white / overexposed when viewed in Premiere or MPC-HC.. however if I open them in VLC they look good.. look very close to what I saw on my cell phone.

Also maybe of note, when I open Windows Explorer to view the folder of videos.. my friends videos show Icons that show a screenshot of what the video file is. The videos from my phone do not show an Icon. They just show MPC-HC because that's what my default video player is.

Anybody know why this could happen? We will try color correction, but we shouldn't have to. Both our phones are pretty similar in color / camera.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the spec of the video in mediainfo (text view) and compare to the earlier videos.
    These new videos may be HDR and/or a higher bit depth

If nothing is obvious post a sample here to the forum
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Look at the spec of the video in mediainfo (text view) and compare to the earlier videos.
    These new videos may be HDR and/or a higher bit depth

If nothing is obvious post a sample here to the forum
    I appreciate the quick reply. I could get that mediainfo right from MPC-HC. Anyway, I did learn a few things.

1 - I had Auto HDR on. His says Codec AVC1 (Advanced Video Coding) and mine is HVC1 (High Efficiency Video Coding). But that still doesn't make me understand why the footage can look nice, without any adjustments in VLC. Why can't I just import into Premiere and not have to make adjustments. Is there nothing I can do for an auto correct to bring it closer to my friends?

2 - I also learned something else, I wonder if this will affect things video. I've always said his videos look a little "blurry" to my eye when he moves.. in media info I see we have the same framerate.. well it's variable framerate since it's a cellphone, but his says "Standard: PAL" mine says "Standard: NTSC".. think that has anything to do with it? I'm not saying mine is perfect, but his is noticeably worse if you ask me.

I mean this is until we buy a camera.. he's undecided.. we're deciding to get the BlackMagic 6k Pro because our friend has one and if we shoot together with him it'll help.. or do we get the Sony A7SII.. and obviously we'll need lenses.

PS - I'm gonna check my friends phone tomorrow.. I wonder if T-Mobile sold him a European model phone.. if so that sucks.
    Last edited by yuppicide0138; 30th Nov 2021 at 22:06.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure, VLC is probably tone-mapping the video to make it look good on a non-HDR setup.
    mpc-hc, at least 1.87 and older, couldn't do it, but recent releases of mpc-be are able to.
    I doubt the frame rate difference is a factor
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Not sure, VLC is probably tone-mapping the video to make it look good on a non-HDR setup.
    mpc-hc, at least 1.87 and older, couldn't do it, but recent releases of mpc-be are able to.
    I doubt the frame rate difference is a factor
    Thanks. Now I can Google working with HDR in Premiere.. but for the future videos I've disabled it.

I've found my video is using colorspace RC 2100 PQ and my friends REC 709. Just need to figure out now how to change or get them similar.
    Last edited by yuppicide0138; 30th Nov 2021 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I did notice I can go to Sequence -> Sequence Settings and change to Rec. 709 and it's pretty close to what my friends camera shot. Now I can do minor changes as opposed to major with Lumetri Color.
    Quote Quote