VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am completely new to this topic, and would like some help. I have a bunch of "travel videos" my dad made, and I am set with the task of converting them and making them playable with Roku via USB stick.

Step 1: Covert files ----- DONE

So I converted a bunch of MTS files to MP4 using Handbrake. It's a freeware program. Actually it converted them to something similar to MP4, but it plays on Roku, so its fine. (Kind of weird if I do 1 file it converts to MP4, if I do batch, it's something else)

Step 2: Combine files

Each batch of files has a count between 70 and 200. Roku only plays them one at a time, so I want to combine each batch into 1 file, or a few at most. I have no idea how to do this.

Step 3: Compress files

The videos were recorded on a Sony camcorder in 1080. The files are really large in size. Is it possible to compress them, at the same time keep the video quality, file type? I've watched 1080 movies that are 2 hours long less than 3 gb. These folders are like 10 gigs in size... If I could save some space while keeping the VQ, that would be awesome. It's just that it would still have to be playable on the Roku.

I really need help with the steps 2 and 3 here. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Step 1: OK, good choice, Handbrake is great. You mention it converted batch files to something else.... Was it "m4v"? There's a setting to change this 'm4v', it's to do with Apple compatibility, however, it's not so important these days. (You can just change the extension to .mp4).

Step 2: Wow, this is really not my area but there are many programs to do this. Can I ask? Do you just want to combine lots of files, or, combine and maybe trim/edit these files? Depending on your answer, different programs may be needed. The members here will have many recommendations.

Step 3: Yes of course, it is possible to compress them. Maybe look at Step 2 first, get you files/videos/movies as you want them (as they are - skip step 1) then, and only then, proceed with compressing them.

Hope that in some small way helps. (don't convert/encode/transcode - edit - then convert/encode/transcode again)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Step 1: Yes i believe it was M4V it converted it to. It's weird that it changed because, I didn't change any of the settings. In fact everything was the same except number of files. But it doesn't really matter, Roku reads it - that's the important factor.

Step 2: The plan is just to combine them as is. Although it would be nice to know what I can use to trim if needed. (less important)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Step 1 may have been a mistake. Re-encoding with Handbrake reduced the quality for no reason. And if you are going to compress them further you will be reencoding again and losing more quality. You might have been able to remux the original files without reencoding the audio or video. Or even appended all the originals, compressed, and saved as MP4 all in one step.

Do this first: open one of your MTS files in MediaInfo, set it to Text view, and copy/paste the information here.

If the audio and video codecs are suitable for MP4 and the Roku you can simply remux to MP4 (no loss of quality and very fast). Open one of your files with AviDemux. Set Video and Audio to "Copy". Set the Output Format to MP4 Muxer. Save the video and try the resulting MP4 file on the Roku. The files will be a little smaller because MP4 has less overhead than MTS.

If that works you can append multiple segments with AviDemux by opening the first segment then appending further segments. You can then remux as above or re-encode to compress them. Try a simple remux first. Make sure there are no glitches when you playback the appended files. Watch for corruption between segments. And check audio sync.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is this what you were looking for?

Code:
    General
    ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\varga\Videos\2017-07 Niagara, Canada\00000.MTS
    CompleteName_Last                        : C:\Users\varga\Videos\2017-07 Niagara, Canada\00063.MTS
    Format                                   : BDAV
    Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
    File size                                : 9.55 GiB
    Duration                                 : 3 s 63 ms
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 26.8 Gb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 18.0 Mb/s
    Recorded date                            : 2017-07-01 11:55:45-05:00
    Writing application                      : Sony HDR-CX260V

Video
    ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames               : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=2, N=15
    Codec ID                                 : 27
    Duration                                 : 2 s 436 ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 25.7 Gb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 16.0 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 440 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields
    Scan order                               : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 552.019
    Stream size                              : 7.30 GiB (76%)
    IrisFNumber                              : 3.400000

Audio
    ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format                                   : AC-3
    Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
    Codec ID                                 : 129
    Duration                                 : 2 s 528 ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : -67 ms
    Stream size                              : 79.0 KiB (0%)
    Service kind                             : Complete Main

Text
    ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)
    Format                                   : PGS
    Codec ID                                 : 144
    Duration                                 : 1 s 937 ms
    Delay relative to video                  : -67 ms
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, that is what I was looking for. As I guessed, your source can be directly muxed into an M4V container -- with no loss of quality. The file size will only be a little smaller though -- the M4V container is more efficient than transfer streams. AviDemux (free) is one of the simplest programs for this. Just set Audio and Video to "copy" and Output Format to MP4 Muxer. Since your source has a 4:3 frame size but a 16:9 display aspect ratio you have to force the Aspect ratio. Under Output Format -> Configure, enable Force Aspect Ratio, and DAR to 16:9. Then save your output.

You can also use AviDemux to append all your videos. Open the first source video, append all the others, then save as above. Try this with one set of video files and make sure the output doesn't have any audio or video glitches or sync errors.

If you really want to further compress your videos you can do that with AviDemux too. Open/Append all your sources, set Video to Mpeg4 AVC (x264), press Configure. Your source is interlaced so on the Frame tab select Interlaced and Top Field First. On the General tab select Encoding Mode Video Size (Two Pass) and a Target Video Size. The smaller you make the file the lower the quality will be. Keep in mind that interlaced home video does not compress as well as professionally shot film. That should be enough to get you started.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @jagabo

So I finally got around to doing this, been rather busy.

It seems to have worked but I got no audio via Roku.

I loaded all the needed files into AviDemux. Just opened it and drag and drop into it. Did the rest as you said.

End result I got a nice big file that seems to have combined everything in that folder. I test it with VLC, and it seems to be working fine.

But when I move the file to USB stick and play on Roku, just video and no sound. Running the same file through USB stick on PC via VLC is just fine, only through Roku.

Tried doing with less files and un-checking the mp3 box in the Configure where "force aspect ratio" is, but same result.

Overall the process is great, much much faster and easy to do, just can't get the audio to work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you only have only one audio track it may be that the Roku can't handle AC3 in MP4. In that case, change Audio Output to AAC (FDK) in AviDemux. It will convert the audio from AC3 to AAC. You can leave Video Output at Copy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you, Jagabo.

That worked like a charm. Really appreciate your help with this!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Glad it worked out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. But can Compressor take multiple files and compress them into on file? In other words, I have two 30 second video files that I would like to combine into one 60 second video file? Possible? I have some PC software that can do this but can't find Mac software that can. Thank you Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    Last edited by zim3; 8th Nov 2018 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote