VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Hopefully someone elae has had this problem in the past and can help me. I'm trying to transfer a Digital 8 tape to my computer. I have a SONY TRV740 camcorder conntected to my computer via a firewire cable. I'm using Ulead Videostudio 6. I set my camcorder to VCR and slect "capture" with the software. The camcorder starts to play and the computer starts to capture the frames. When it is done I get the following error.

When I look my my computer I have a list of .AVI files, but they are unopenable in virtualDUB or my authoring software. I've tried different codecs (DV Video Encoder -- type 1 & Panasonic DV CODEC -- type 1), I've tried different ports on my computer and, even tried different software for the transfer. I've done this transfer in the past. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Mako
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With WIN XP SP2, you should be able to play a DV-AVI file with WMP or Movie Maker 2 using the MS DV codec.

Video studio 6 is very old and I recall some bugs.

Try to transfer your files with WinDV or DVIO instead. They are simple, up to date and easier to diagnose since they are just a simple user interface sitting over Direct Show.

You can then import the DV-AVI files into Video Studio or Movie Maker.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using WinDV to transfer my tape. Everythnig seemed to work fine during the capture. (I didn't see anywhere to select the codec.) Anyway, when I tried to open the .AVI file in virtualDUB, I got the following error.

The video will play video but there is no sound now. any ideas?

Thanks again,
    Mako
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VD needs Type 2 DV. You can convert it with the Canopus DV File Converter.

With DV cameras and devices, you don't select a codec. The DV codec is built into the camera or DV device. That's why it's not capturing. It's just transferring the DV file. The Panasonic codec is for viewing the file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, I want to thank everyone who has replied. You've answered some questions and I found a few more. Onto the next problem. I used winDV to transfer the tape (AVI type 2). The trasnfer went fine. Both VirtualDUB and my authoring software could recognize and play the file. The question I have is this. Why is the audio at 32K? Shouldn't it be at 48K? Could someone please explain?

Thanks,
    Mako
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 69mako

The question I have is this. Why is the audio at 32K? Shouldn't it be at 48K? Could someone please explain?

Thanks,
    Mako
    That is a camcorder setting. 16bit/48k 2ch vs 12bit/32k 4ch

The DVD standard is 16bit/48k. Unfortunately many DV camcorders default to the latter. See the link below for a more complete description of the modes.

I recommend you use 16bit/48K in the future but your authoring software probably can convert the file you have.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265201&highlight=audio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the explanation. That's what I thought. Too bad the SONY manual doesn't tell you these things. I'll have to check the setting on the camcorder.

Thanks to all for the help,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good info there. I had same problem of 16bit/48k 2ch vs 12bit/32k 4ch

Quote Quote