VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I'm at my wits' end here. I just picked up a new-to-me Canon Vixia HV 30 off e-bay which also came with an edition of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9, Platinum Edition.

I'd like to be able to capture the video I've taken with the HV 30 directly to Movie Studio, but when I hit the "Import Media' button, and receive the pop-up window of where to look for my video, I'm unable to find my camcorder wich I've got connected via Firewire to my computer.

I've searched countless Youtube tutorials, and looked on Sony's help section of their websites, but apparently this problem is too basic to even be addressed by most. I'm hoping that's the case, and it really is something simple so I can move on and start learning what to do with the file once I can import it.

Thanks SO much for the help, gang... I super-appreciate it!!

Greg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have platrinum so can't help much with settings. My Vegas Pro 9 works fine with my HV20 when capture is set to HDV in an HDV project setting.

Alternate is HDVsplit. The captured file can easily be imported to a Vegas project with no loss. If HDVsplit doesn't see it, it may be a camcorder setting or IEEE-1394 port issue. Try setting the camcorder to forced HDV out instead of Auto.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. For a camera connected by firewire cable, shouldn't you click the "capture video" button instead of "import media"? I thought "import media" is for things that are already on your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdb View Post
    For a camera connected by firewire cable, shouldn't you click the "capture video" button instead of "import media"? I thought "import media" is for things that are already on your hard drive.
    For Vegas use Capture and then set to HDV.

HDVsplit will capture an HDV *.m2t file to disk. You would then import that file into Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV,

Thanks for the response. Do you set your camcorder on your HV20 any special way to get Vegas to recognise it?

I'm wondering if I need to be doing something on that end to get the camcorder "visible" to Vegas since I used the basic Windows Moviemaker that comes standard with the OS and it immediately recognised the camcorder, rewound the tape and imported the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I just attempted to use the "capture video" button with the same result: When I browsed for the camera, it's not there. I can see the new Firewire port (labeled as Removeable Disk (L ), but cannot get to the camera...

As I noted in my above post though, I know it's recognizeable by the computer as Moviemaker was able to access it and import the video. Also, it makes that "da-dum" sound when I connect and disconnect the Firewire from the camcorder...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Greg / MO View Post
    OK, I just attempted to use the "capture video" button with the same result: When I browsed for the camera, it's not there. I can see the new Firewire port (labeled as Removeable Disk (L ), but cannot get to the camera...

As I noted in my above post though, I know it's recognizeable by the computer as Moviemaker was able to access it and import the video. Also, it makes that "da-dum" sound when I connect and disconnect the Firewire from the camcorder...
    If you have an external firewire disk disconnect it.

HDV camcorders can export as HDV or standard def DV format. It will even downscale HDV to DV in the camcorder.

For HDV out
    1. Set camcorder to "PLAY"
    2. In "Menu", Select "Playback Standard"
    3. Choices are

"Auto" -- Attempts to follow tape format.
    "HDV" -- Forces HDV playback for HDV tapes. Does nothing for DV format tapes.
    "DV" -- Forces a downscale of 1080i HDV to 480i DV or plays DV as DV.

Select HDV.

With the camcorder connected, reboot the computer.
    Turn on the Camcorder.
    Select Capture, HDV in Vegas.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Aug 2010 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help...

OK, I've had the camcorder for just a couple days, so I'm a bit ignorant as to its operation... but I think I'm following you ok.

Problem is, when I go into the menu, I've got two Play/Out Setups... 1 & 2. Under 1, I've got a menu option for Playback Std like you said, but it's dimmed out. It's followed by a "---" and I can't select it.

If I go to Play/Out Setup 2, I've got a menu selection for "Comp. Out" and it's set to "1080i"... not sure if that would do the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help...

OK, I've had the camcorder for just a couple days, so I'm a bit ignorant as to its operation... but I think I'm following you ok.

Problem is, when I go into the menu, I've got two Play/Out Setups... 1 & 2. Under 1, I've got a menu option for Playback Std like you said, but it's dimmed out. It's followed by a "---" and I can't select it.

If I go to Play/Out Setup 2, I've got a menu selection for "Comp. Out" and it's set to "1080i"... not sure if that would do the same thing?
    You get the "---" When the cable is actively connected to the computer.

Turn off the camcorder, remove the IEEE-1394 cable and when you turn it on again, you should see the settings. "Auto" or "HDV" should work.

Thanks for reminding me about "Play/Out Setup 2". The "Comp Out" setting refers to analog component out only.

But the settng below it is important. "DV Out" should be set to HDV/DV instead of "DV".

When the cable is connected to the computer, this option will also show "---".
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Aug 2010 at 20:01.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome!

Going to reboot now...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, crap!

I rebooted, hit the "capture" button, set to HDV in Vegas... and the screeen shows "No Device Selected"

This has just GOT to be something simple, I hope...

I've got to head to a friend's house to get a good seat for the UFC fights tonight... I'll be back late and start working on this again.

Cannot TELL you how much I appreciate you and anyone else's time who jumps on here!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, crap!

I rebooted, hit the "capture" button, set to HDV in Vegas... and the screeen shows "No Device Selected"

This has just GOT to be something simple, I hope...

I've got to head to a friend's house to get a good seat for the UFC fights tonight... I'll be back late and start working on this again.

Cannot TELL you how much I appreciate you and anyone else's time who jumps on here!!
    I just tested the above settings in HDVSplit (Vista-32bit/Win7-32-bit) and in Vegas 9 Pro (Win7-32bit). All worked.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I DID IT!!!

Still had to mess around a bit, but finally found a drop-down menu when in the "Project Media" tab that gave me a choice to choose "preferences" and finally navigate to the HV30... This allowed me to run the camcorder out of Vegas and start controlling rewind and play...

Of course, I played it the first time and couldn't figure out why it wasn't captured as a file... then went back and looked at it and realized I was going to have to hit the 'record' button in Vegas just like I do when using the HV30.

OK, now I'm off and running... probably only a year or two more of intense studying and learning, and I'll be editing and composing my own home movies!

Thanks so much, man... I really appreciate how helpful you were!!

Greg
    Quote Quote