VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope I'm mistaken somehow (I'm a novice), but almost every DVD-RW I have used with Nero Express (part of Nero OEM 6.6.0.13) in last 2 days has apparently been spoilt. Here's a typical example from a few minutes ago.

I have a DVD-RW with a video that I have been able to play in all my PC DVD players (and on DVD with TV). But, directly after such a playing, when I tried to burn a single small data file onto it with Nero Express (over-writing the existing contents), it failed. It just ejected after a while, and I got some message like 'Aborted by user'. If I now try to open it in Windows (XP Home) Explorer, I get "V:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function".

This has now happened with 5 of my DVD-RWs (Traxdata 4.7GB 120 mins).

What can be going on here please? I know discs are not that expensive, even DVD-RWs, but this is getting silly!

--
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Quote Quote  
  2. In case it helps, here is what I see now if I run that spoiled DVD-RW in Nero Info under the Disc tab:

-General
    Type: DVD-RW
    Capacity: 00:00.01 (0 MB)
    -Extended Information
    Tracks: n/a
    Sessions: n/a
    Blank Capacity: n/a
    Manufacturer ID: RITEK000V11A
    Disc Status: Open, not finalized
    -Content
    File System(s):
    Title: n/a
    Date: n/a
    Publisher: n/a
    Application: n/a

And this is what I see under the Drive tab:

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/NeroInfo1.gif

I've also emailed Nero Support, but from past experience I'm not optimistic of getting a reply.

--
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    have you tried rebooting the machine? Sometimes nero gets flakey on me and no matter what I put in there it fails to burn. After I restart the machine and re-format the dvd's they work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks. Yes, I had tried rebooting. But not a reformat? How do you do that please? There's no Format on the r-click menu for that drive. And I see nothing in Nero Express, or Nero Tools...

--
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by terrypin
    Thanks. Yes, I had tried rebooting. But not a reformat? How do you do that please? There's no Format on the r-click menu for that drive. And I see nothing in Nero Express, or Nero Tools...
    I see you're running the OEM version, does this not have an option to go the Nero Burning ROM, the "full" program? If not, then rats I dunno what to do, but if you can go to the "full" mode, from the menu bar choose "Recorder" then from there "Erase Rewriteable Disc."

This'll open a menu box and you can choose to fully erase (not quick erase) your DVD-RW, and that should do it. Assuming, again, that you have the full program. Let us know if you don't, maybe there's another way around this.

EDIT: Just got this pointed out by a co-worker -- in Nero Express, at the bottom of the main window there should be an option button labeled "More." Click this, and a submenu should extend from the bottom of the page, and there should be a button there that says "Erase Disc." Click that, and select the full erase option from there. This works in Nero Express on my PC, anyway. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, appreciate the follow-up. Yes, I have tried to use Erase in Nero Express, but unfortunately it fails. After that, previously 'good' DVD-RW discs are inaccessible.

I thought you meant a specific 'Format' command.

--
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Quote Quote