VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I have never burned a VCD or SVCD before and I have 2 files that are each 823-824MB in size but I only have 700MB 80Mins CD's. Do I have to burn those files onto 3 CD's?. Seems a waste of space!. Or can I make those files fit onto 2 700MB CD's?.

Which software do I need to burn SVCD's? Do I really need Nero or is there a free alternative?. Can I use Record Now that came with my HP computer?
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

If there is no soulution to fitting them onto 2 Cd's and I have to use 3. Will that be a problem since there is 2 files. Do I have to split them into 3 files if so how do I do that?. Or will the burnings software do it automatically during the burning process?.
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remember: Patience is a virtue. Anyway, your SVCD comes in a particular format, and changing the format makes it a XSVCD. It may still play on your player, but there are no guarantees. You may want to burn a sample VCD on a CD-RW to see if your player likes XSVCDs.

Now to make an XSVCD, you go to the bit rate calculator, and input how long much space is on your first disk, and the format you want. It will give you the bit rate. This value is used to adjust your MPEG file to make it fit on your CD-R.

Use your favorite encoder to make your new MPEG file. To find a free burn program, go to the Tools section at left, and look under Burner.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  4. is there a free alternative?.
    Yes, try VCDEasy (see left hand side, tools section)
    and do a search about overburning which is
    a method of fitting extra data onto a disk.

2 files that are each 823-824MB in size but I only have 700MB 80Mins
    Are these mpeg files? (mpeg files usually have the extension .mpg)
    can you play them with widows media player?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can fit approx 800Mbs of (S)VCD on an 80 min CD, they are burnt in a different mode from normal Data CD's. You could fitt your 824Mb SVCD files on a normal 80Min CD with a small overburn, if your burner supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VCD Easy is not free these days, unless you donated when it was freeware.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

They are MPG files!

Does Nero 6 support overburn?

If so how do I do it in nero?

My internal burner is a 48X speed burner:

Modell: Lite On 48246S:

http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?xml_id=4_2&menu_id=4_2_7&cid=1_7_2

(select the modell from the pop up menu)
    Does it support Overburn?
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use Nero 5, and in that you can enable Overburn with File->preferences->expert features. I would expect Nero 6 to be similiar but have not used it.

In The Nero wizard, simply select Video-CD or Super Video-CD then slect your mpegs from the file browser.

Check your mpeg file properties with bitrate viewer, compare against (S)VCD specs as listed under WHAT IS at the top left of this page.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Does Nero 6 support overburn?
    If so how do I do it in nero?
    Yes. Just follow what bugster outlined and type in 99 minutes
    in the overburn dialog box.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you're probably reading your filesize a bit wrong. If you'd notice that when you read it from windows explorer it reads something like 823,000 KB (which stands for 823,000 thousands of bytes) and you are converting to megabytes (MB) by assuming 1 MB = 1,000 KB. That is a good estimate, but in reality it isn't that simple: 1 MB = 1,024 KB so: 823,000 KB is around 804MB, which is likely the correct size for your "700MB" media. There are many threads that will explain this and a F.A.Q. section here: https://www.videohelp.com/faq#740.

P.S. - I would highly suggest reading everything in that F.A.Q. even though it is a lot and you may not understand it all you may remember something you read there, when the situation arises, and you can go back and get a better understanding of it. That was the first thing I did when I discovered this site, and the first thing I do when learning something new on the internet is I try to find a good FAQ like they have put together here
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes you can fit your two files on your two cdr make sure to use nero and select svcd or mode2/xa . Patience is a virtue. Sometimes reading up the other posts in between will answer your question. There are over 42 million posts so your question has Been answered before. TWice. search.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Donny661
    you're probably reading your filesize a bit wrong. If you'd notice that when you read it from windows explorer it reads something like 823,000 KB (which stands for 823,000 thousands of bytes) and you are converting to megabytes (MB) by assuming 1 MB = 1,000 KB. That is a good estimate, but in reality it isn't that simple: 1 MB = 1,024 KB so: 823,000 KB is around 804MB, which is likely the correct size for your "700MB" media. There are many threads that will explain this and a F.A.Q. section here: https://www.videohelp.com/faq#740.

P.S. - I would highly suggest reading everything in that F.A.Q. even though it is a lot and you may not understand it all you may remember something you read there, when the situation arises, and you can go back and get a better understanding of it. That was the first thing I did when I discovered this site, and the first thing I do when learning something new on the internet is I try to find a good FAQ like they have put together here
    Hello!

Yes you where correct I have now checked them a bit more thoroughly. They where 804MB each so do I not need to do any overburn?.

I have now downloaded and installed the Nero 6 Power pack/Ultra Edition with bundled software that is good for 30 days. I have read the tutorial on this page and one thing that I wonder is in the area where you specify disc size in Nero should I set it to User defined and 80 min?(standard is 74min)?. And also If Nero has the capability to change incorrect SVCD's that are not in compliance with the standard should I still use Bitrate viewer or is that uneccessary if Nero corrects it?

And also I do not need to use the scandata text file for adding the ability to fastforward/rewind since I am using Version 6! Is that correct?
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you should do now, is forget everything about Nero when it comes to SVCD. You know Nero? No? Good. Then get last free version of VCDEasy. Author your SVCDs with this app. If possible, use VCDEasy to burn too, if not, just create the cue/bin (CD image) with VCDEasy and burn it with any CD witing app that knows how to burn cue/bin (Yes, Nero is one of them). Burnatonce is a freeware alternative.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

That was a first!

Someone complaining about Nero!

To my knowledge and from what I have heard from others Nero 6.3.0.0 Power Pack Bundle is one of the best all around application ever released all categorys. Why do you think Nero is bad for SVCD's?.

By the way I already have the 2 files in SVCD format I just need to burn them!.

But in the future if I need to author a SVCD by my self why should I use VCDEasy and not Nero?.

From what I have seen so far after installing it it impressed me it seems to be almost a complete media package solution. Very extensive piece of software indeed!
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think your files are still a little too big for the CD so you should enable overburn. Try it and if it works, it works, and if it doesn't then you can use Nero to re-encode your files, but Nero's encoder is not as good quality as many others and it is bad to reencode with any application if you don't absolutely have to.

About VCDEasy, I use it and highly recommend it. It offers a lot more options and control over authoring (not encoding, you have to use an application like TMPG to make the .mpg file) a (S)VCD, and VCDEasy uses VCDImager, which is probably the best authoring application, to actually author the (S)VCD. The reason to have VCDEasy is because VCDImager actually requires you to script an XML file to make the (S)VCD, which would require one to learn XML, and VCDEasy allows one to just point, click, or drag to create a (S)VCD and it makes the XML file. In my opinion, Nero is still the best cd burning software out there, but VCDEasy is better at (S)VCD authoring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    almost a complete media package solution
    Might be so, but for each specific task Nero can perform, there's a highly specialized application that outperforms it by miles.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  17. Have to agree with mats on this one. Nero has become bloatware!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    almost a complete media package solution
    Might be so, but for each specific task Nero can perform, there's a highly specialized application that outperforms it by miles.

/Mats
    Hello!

Yes that is probably true but Nero probably performs good enough for most people. The functions in Nero is probably sufficent for most people!.

When it comes to VDCEasy do I need to download it alone or do I also need to download VCdImager in order for VCDEasy to function?

Do you have any other recommendation for software that I should be aware of?
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Have to agree with mats on this one. Nero has become bloatware!
    Hello!

What is bloatware?

What is negative about Nero?
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  20. What is bloatware?
    From the Webopedia:

bloatware
    A sarcastic term that refers to software that has lots of features and requires considerable disk space and RAM. As the cost of RAM and disk storage has decreased, there has been a growing trend among software developers to disregard the size of applications. Some people refer to this trend as creeping featuritis. If creeping featuritis is the symptom, bloatware is the disease.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Joakim_A
    ... almost a complete media package solution.
    I've never seen a complete solution that did anything really well. As most of the people on this site are videophiles that care about the quality of the work that they create, you won't find many people here that recommend nero for anything except burning only.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Joakim,

Would you please open Nero and choose to make a SVCD and just try to burn your files to a standard CD-R?

You are worrying too much over the size of the files. When I made VCD/SVCD, every program I used split them to fit, and the larger file would run as high as 848 MB and burn without overburn.

Depending on the program, you may get 808 or 825 or 848 MB.

Just burn it without letting Nero re-encode. If you have to, tell Nero to burn non-compliant disk.

Hey, it's a CD, a dime, not a 2 buck DVD.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

Thank you for your replys!

In another post here on this forum section soapy are having quality isssues after burning his file with Nero 6.3.0.0. read it here:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195804

One person suggests that he should rewrite the headers of the Mpeg-2 files using TMPGEnc. What is headers and how do you I it in TMPGEnc incase I get the same problem.
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dont worry about rewriting headers,thats a different ballgame,just burn your mpgs with either nero svcd burn mode or use vcdeasy and make bin/cue files and burn image file(bin/cue)or overburn if needed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

Another question that I have is if it is neccessary to shut down all open applications during the burn?

Do I risk getting bad copy's if I have other apps open during th burn session?.

I know that that was the case in my old Mac but maybe it works better in a modern system such as Windows XP!
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Joakim_A
    Another question that I have is if it is neccessary to shut down all open applications during the burn?

Do I risk getting bad copy's if I have other apps open during th burn session?.
    Yes you risk making a coaster (bad disk). It depends on your burn speed, the speed of your system, how much memory you have installed and how CPU or memory intensive the other applications are. I have 512 MB's with a 1.6 GHz. processor and I only burn Cd's at 8X. I can surf and do other things but opening new programs is a recipe for failure. My writer doesn't have buffer under-run protection like some others. In a nutshell, it's a risk but don't push things and it can be done.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

But my internal burner is brand new as my computer and it has Buffer Under Run technology. Does that make it safe to burn with other apps open?. I only have 256MB of physical RAM but a speedy processor AMD AthlonXP 2600+.
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Joakim_A,

just follow the advice so far and get back if you need further
    assistance. Include details about what problems you have actually
    experienced.
    Frankly I'm beginning to suspect you are a troll.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Joakim_A,

just follow the advice so far and get back if you need further
    assistance. Include details about what problems you have actually
    experienced.
    Frankly I'm beginning to suspect you are a troll.
    Hello!

Maybe I am a Troll I am big 6'7" and hairy! maybe there is something my parents have not told me I need to talk to them about that maybe I am some kind of genetical experiment of some sort scary

I am just about to start burning them now!(Not my parents ofcourse )

Just my files you know

I will pray to the Goods it will work
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

Update!

I succesfully burned them onto 2 discs . The CD played on both my DVD players.

But on my Sony disc 1 had a part about 18 minutes into it with blocky video that lasted a few secs then after that audio was out of sync for a few minutes then there was a new part with blocky video and after that audio sync was restored. The second disc was almost perfect only at the end with only 5 minutes remaining there was a one scond glitch that did not bother me to musch. On my other DVD player United both discs played without any glitch. I guess Sony that has better picture quality is more sensitive to glithces which is noticed when changing layer on a DVD it is more noticable on the Sony then on my United. But in all other aspects the Sony DVP-NS330 is a better player then the United DVD 3151.

The only thing that was different between teh first burn and the second was that the first burn where not done on a fresh start meaning the RAM was defragmented as the result of earlier having opended and closed apps. The second burn was made from a fresh start of the computer and the RAM was not fragmented. I guess that it is better to burn from a fresh start as it gives better burns. I burned the files at 4X speed both times.
    Sincerely Joakim Agren!
    Quote Quote