VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My parents have an older PC with an i5 6500. Yes it is older but still does well. They edit 1080p 60fps video just fine in Vegas. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA).

Now, they would like to try Neat Video, which is very intensive. So, can an older CPU be "upgraded" with a better video card in this case? For example a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 EAGLE OC 12G? They aren't too keen on replacing everything, but will there be a reasonable rendering improvement with this much nicer card?

Thx
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use a RTX 3090 on CORE 2 Quad system soo it should work on your system...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7HFnNMHCw
    I donīt know if there will be any rendering improvementīs..
    that depends on how good the software is at utilising the gpu and how fast your Hardrive/SSD is..
    Last edited by Mr_khyron; 29th Aug 2022 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To me that would be a complete waste of money; that card costs about $500. For that you can get a 5700g+motherboard+ram+nvme, if you shop wisely.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    To me that would be a complete waste of money; that card costs about $500. For that you can get a 5700g+motherboard+ram+nvme, if you shop wisely.
    I would probably choose to update the MB and processor as well, but there may be considerations other than cost holding them back. Maybe the problem is leaving Windows 7 behind or the unpleasant task of transferring their data and installing all the software they currently use.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    To me that would be a complete waste of money; that card costs about $500. For that you can get a 5700g+motherboard+ram+nvme, if you shop wisely.
    I would probably choose to update the MB and processor as well, but there may be considerations other than cost holding them back. Maybe the problem is leaving Windows 7 behind or the unpleasant task of transferring their data and installing all the software they currently use.
    This is part of it. They actually have Windows 10 and I just don't want to move all their stuff and reinstall everything. They don't either. I'd need new CPU, MOBO, RAM, GPU for them; I doubt I can get all that for under $500. Pity I can't try out the card first LOL!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    My parents have an older PC with an i5 6500. Yes it is older but still does well. They edit 1080p 60fps video just fine in Vegas. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA).

Now, they would like to try Neat Video, which is very intensive. So, can an older CPU be "upgraded" with a better video card in this case? For example a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 EAGLE OC 12G? They aren't too keen on replacing everything, but will there be a reasonable rendering improvement with this much nicer card?
    Check here:

Bottleneck Calculator: CPU-GPU-Scr.Resolution-Purpose
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jaodsvuda View Post
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post

Check here:

Bottleneck Calculator: CPU-GPU-Scr.Resolution-Purpose
    Great link...thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ron
    Great link...thanks!
    I'd treat it with a grain of salt. I did a test comparison on my system. It reckoned that at NVidia GTX 1050 would perform way better than a NVidia GTX 1660. I don't think that would be the case, not that I'm an expert on GPUs.
    Quote Quote