VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm putting my whole library of DVDs to a hard drive for playback on a Linktheater. I'll probably compress them all to DivX AVI.

I would like to be able to censor some movies by lowering the volume when certain words are said.

Is there a way to edit the audio on a DivX movie or AVI without re-encoding the video?

-Matthew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do all the work to en up with a Divx AVI file with the un-censored audio.

Use VirtualDub to extract the audio, censor as required in your chosen audio editing tool, and then recombine the audio with the video in VirtualDub again.

There's loads of guides on demuxing (splitting) and muxing (joining) listed towards the bottom of the download page for VirtualDub.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm.. I have VirtualDub and use it all the time, but never for anything audio.. I'll look deeper..Thanks!

Edit: Ahh, I have always used VirtualdubMod.. No wonder I never saw any audio tools!

-Matthew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub, nor any of its derivatives, have any audio editing capability (to my knowledge). You only use them to extract the audio.

Use something like Audacity (free) to reduce volume / remove sound altogether, then VirtualDub to recombine the edited audio with the video. As long as the actual duration of the edited audio doesn't change, you should be OK.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote