VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a real newbie to the One Touch Video Capture system. Every thing installed without a problem. I already had Power Director 12 so I did not install that. When I try to Capture a movie from the camera it doesn't give me all the selections to make per the manual. Then it starts downloading the movie but doesn't have a picture, just horizontal lines although the audio downloads. Playback shows the same horizontal lines and only plays the audio. The camera is a Sony TRV 103. An old one I realize.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Sony DCR-TRV103 is a Digital8 camcorder. If you are playing Digital8 tapes, you should abandon this setup and seek a method of Firewire capture. If you are playing Hi8 or Video8 (8mm) tapes, continue on...

What is the actual capture hardware? Diamond VC500?

What operating system?

What type of video connection are you using? You should use S-Video.

Above the text box where you type your reply, there is an icon that says "Upload Image". Please attach a screenshot showing what you mean when you say "horizontal lines". https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you are capturing a tape that is playing in the camera, then you don't need to worry about an S-Video cable. However, if you are using the camera to encode analog video being "passed through" from an external video tape deck (VHS, Beta, etc.), then you will get better results with an S-Video cable, although at this point that is the least of your worries.

The only way to connect this camera to the computer is via a 1394/Firewire cable. That is how Digital8 and DV video is captured.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you are capturing a tape that is playing in the camera, then you don't need to worry about an S-Video cable.
    The "One Touch Video Capture" software that was mentioned is used with analog video capture, not Firewire. It isn't clear whether the person even has access to a computer with Firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    The "One Touch Video Capture" software that was mentioned is used with analog video capture, not Firewire. It isn't clear whether the person even has access to a computer with Firewire.
    His camera is a Digital8. It can only make a digital connection via 1394/Firewire. If he is using software that can't deal with Firewire, then he needs to change software. If he doesn't have Firewire, then he needs to get it. As long as he is trying to capture from the Digital8 camcorder, capturing via 1394/Firewire is the only "right" way to do it.

I guess he could capture analog from the composite or S-video output of the camcorder, but if that is what he is trying to do, then doing it this way -- and I don't know how else to put this -- is the totally wrong thing to do. Why would anyone take a digital video (if he is trying to capture Digital8 tapes), convert it to analog, and then convert it back to digital when doing it the correct way will simply make a bit-for-bit copy of the digital 1's and 0's on the tape? In other words, doing it the right way results in no loss whatsoever: a perfect copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OP never provided any info as to whether the tapes are digital, analog, or a mix.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    OP never provided any info as to whether the tapes are digital, analog, or a mix.
    Yeah, you're right. Hopefully he'll clarify.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    herbwaldrup
    Yep, you are all right. I don't know what I am doing. My computer has a firewire card and connection. I had tried to use it but again my computer does not seem to recognize my camera. I played the movie on the camera with the firewire connected to the computer. Nothing. It doesn't see the camera. I went to the One Touch system because I read somewhere the Hi8 movies were analog and it would convert them to digital. I had a very large bunch of 8 mm and Super 8 movies that I have had digitized. Pretty expensive deal so I was trying to handle the Hi8 movies. My computer is a Dell 660 with plenty of Ram and Hard Disks. I already had Power Director 12 on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    You may need to try the legacy FireWire driver.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Had the same problem until I followed JVRaines advice.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote