I'm ripping a DVD (tried and had the same problem with both Harry Potter and Star Wars Episode 1) with smartripper then making a DVD2AVI project file then encoding to SVCD with TMPGEnc. Both smartripper and DVD2AVI say the aspect ratio of the movie is 16:9. I know it is not. It is either 2.11:1 or 2.35:1. When I open DVD2AVI and move the slider to see the movie it shows it with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and to get it to that ratio it stretches the image up and down making the people, objects, etc. look too tall. I have tried fixing this problem by changin the settings in tmpenc to make the aspect ratio of the mpg 16:9 display. This works when playing on my computer in PowerDVD but when I burn it to a CD and play it on my 4:3 tv it stretches it again. Also setting the aspect ratio of the mpg to 4:3 display ends up with the same output on my tv but also streches the picture when I play it on my comp. I know many people have asked similar questions but none of the replies seem to work. I think the problem has something to do with ripping the DVD because DVD2AVI stretches the image also.