VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I right clicked .sub file and .idx file and tried to open in MS Word. Now all the files which were .IDX and .SUB have a changed icon of MS Word. They do not open in VLC. While opening the MS word file it shows some strange script. How to reverse this mistake? I use a window 7 machine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. SHIFT + right mouse click -> open with, then select VLC
    (as a side note: opening subtitles directly, without a video, in VLC doesn't make sense to me, but you probably know what you want)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi! Selur,
    Thanks for the reply. I
    In SRT files(which can be opened in wordpad), corrections can be done in case one finds wrong spellings etc. Out of curiosity, I right clicked and tried to open .sub and .idx file in word. I later released that the format is different and in case one wants to see the text vobsub like app is required. Now that I have already opened these files in word, ALL .sub and .idx file which are on my comp(or even while I download) show these files in MS Word icon. How do I rectify?
    Quote Quote  
  4. SHIFT + right mouse click -> open with, then select application
    this will change the icon of the file to the icon of the application,..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi! Selur,

I know how to change the icon. But when it asks for which app should I choose? If I say 'go to web to find' it says windows does not recognize the format. Other option is to browse for various programs/apps. What to do next?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by asheeshsaini View Post
    I right clicked .sub file and .idx file and tried to open in MS Word. Now all the files which were .IDX and .SUB have a changed icon of MS Word. They do not open in VLC. While opening the MS word file it shows some strange script. How to reverse this mistake? I use a window 7 machine.
    After you did this did the suffix change ie .idx to .doc?

idx/sub are not text they are bitmap images + timecode that are overlaied on top of the video during playback. So any text editor including text programs like Word will only show the code and not the text.

If you opened the idx/sub file in WORD and then saved as a WORD format file then a new header has been written to the file and it is doubtful that you can easily get back to the idx/sub format. I would try to locate another copy of the original idx/sub file/s

If you didn't save the files in WORD but only the icon changed somehow then select vobsub as the program to open the file.
    Last edited by netmask56; 11th Aug 2013 at 19:10.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Unless you installed some idx/sub ocr tool, idx/sub files are not associated to any application. (Icon will be just a white paper)
    This might also be interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Unless you installed some idx/sub ocr tool, idx/sub files are not associated to any application. (Icon will be just a white paper)
    This might also be interesting.
    i think he has associated them with word. OP Right click/open with/choose default program/untick always choose selected propgram
    I do not have to SHIFT righ click to get open with. Do others?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I do not have to SHIFT righ click to get open with. Do others?
    depends a bit on the system (shift+right click, should enforce to show it)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I do not have to SHIFT righ click to get open with. Do others?
    depends a bit on the system (shift+right click, should enforce to show it)
    ok just curious. this is win 7 64 bit
    Quote Quote  
  11. OP how did you get on?
    Quote Quote