VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, and thanks in advance for any help . I've a fifteen-year-old DVD, made by a friend from a handheld digital camera, that I'm hoping to improve; I've no idea how he edited the final product. Here's a short clip: TestClipTonsai. MediaInfo states that the video is progressive, but an analysis with MeGUI states that the video is hybrid/film interlaced, mostly interlaced. I'm able to clean the noise to my liking with SMDegrain, but I can't find a solution for the horizontal artifacts. Both "TFM().TDecimate(Hybrid=3)" and "YADIF(Order=-1)" don't appear to do much, if anything, to help. Please, does anyone have a suggestion? Or, is it possible that there's no hope because however my friend processed the video from the camera the horizontal artifacts are now a permanent part of the video? Thanks again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe your assumption is accurate, the video has been improperly processed and is damaged.
    Does your friend still have the original footage?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I believe your assumption is accurate, the video has been improperly processed and is damaged.
    Does your friend still have the original footage?
    Thanks for your reply, davexnet, and that's a good question. I'm actually back in contact with him after a decade, so I'll ask. Thanks for the suggestion .
    Quote Quote  
  4. The video was originally interlaced. It was handled incorrectly as if it was progressive, messing it up (partially mixing the two fields together, and it looks like the original clip was interlaced 25 fps PAL). If you can get the original clip you can get much better results. You can further blend the two fields together to eliminate the comb artifacts but they will simply be blurred together, looking like a double exposure instead (and blurrier).
    Quote Quote  
  5. jagabo: thanks for your input, it never fails to teach me something . My friend is European so odds are good the original footage is PAL. I really hope he has the original footage because I know what to do with a PAL source, given previous kindness at VideoHelp. Be well!
    Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 28th Nov 2017 at 21:53. Reason: Damn Grammar...
    Quote Quote