VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am helping my father transferring MiniDV-cassettes to PC(worked) and then burning to DVD. I have deep PC-Knowhow but not for Video.
    The latter also worked but Windows Mediaplayer in win7(after divx-converter was installed) will play avi-file one after the other.
    It seems the takes were cut into pieces.
    this german site informs how i can convert to mpeg2. i also tried nerovision4 but dont know how to handle there. Maybe i should read the instructions for v5.
    http://forum.computerbild.de/tipps-tricks/filme-avi-dvd-player-kompatiblen-format-umwa...eln_96638.html
    Whats you hint? 1 MiniDV-cassette is 120gb /1 hour video
    Have magic video deluxe 2015 plus
    sony play memories.
    Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    video is transferred off of miniDV tapes over firewire to the same format as on the tape. use a utility like winDV. it's 13GB/hour. you can set winDV to either cut the video up into separate files corresponding to when the camera was started/stopped or set it to make one big file out of the whole tape.

once you have the DVavi on the computer you can add the parts you want to an editor and create dvd spec mpeg-2 and then use an authoring program on the mpeg-2 to create dvd spec vobs/ifos. or you could use something like avistodvd and let it handle the conversion.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. many thanks.
    Maybe it makes sense to acquire a dv-recorder. cassettes are played/transferred from videorecorder. There are many cassettes to transfer.
    Transfer time is always 1:1, no speeding up right?
    and DVD- burning at slowest speed i was told. We will use Dual-layer 8gb. Multisession.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    correct, there is no way around playing the tape in real time to transfer them. not sure what you mean by a dv-recorder? there are miniDV tape decks that can play any record to tape but they still need a computer with a firewire port to send the dv to for transfer.

dvdr can safely be recorded to at near their rated speed. there is no multisession if you want to make dvd spec discs. to make a dvd that is playable on dvd or blu-ray standalone player you have to author them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_authoring
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Meanwhile i have found this interesting dialog
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/332637-Transfer-mini-DV-tapes-to-PC-and-then-to-DVD

DVD-Recorder would be an option. But the videographer which i am helping wants to use the slow tour since he already did the whole process on winxp-pc.
    we switched from pci-to pci-express-firewirecard.
    There was an avi-mediaplayer problem solved by installation of DivX(only DivX-converter needed).
    We have magix video deluxe premium 2015 the one with 3dstereo-option). That would be my domain.
    nb: I have got the hint to videohelp from a moderator of sysopt-forum. For now Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  6. One step ahead.
    1. had to installed old firewire-driver-found in playmemories instructions... had the idea to reinstall since no import-reaction. device not found...
    before i had the idea the reinstall old pci-card i had the idea to replace the cable. Reall was DEFECTIVE!

2. Tried out WinDV and i could make it to work but: i dont see where is the option to decice one file or film-parts. Are takes meant or will the cassette cut into avi-pieces?
    http://windv.mourek.cz/

3. have now imported one part of a take but magix video deluxe 2015 is creating multiple avis.
    The videographer who is experienced told to create a title in Word. Done.
    We want to mount multiple sequences of films.
    What next?
    Studying Magix Video Deluxe-Manual......
    And at the end Encoding AVI to MPEG-2 before burning to DVD.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    winDV will either create one large file or separate the tape into shots by when the camera was turned on/off. set it like this to create separate files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-14_163306.png
Views:	138
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	38169

change discontinuity threshold to 0 to create one large avi out of the tape.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. this subject would be hot 20 years ago, just some deja-vu going on

For capturing I recommend using ScenalyzerLive, it is free now, more comfortable to use, capturing one long video or capturing into scenes (every time you pushed record while recording would be a new clip) . You have visual feedback of captured files in Scenalyzer Live, you can use that program as kind of manager of your database because you can scroll easily inside those clips.

Cut those clips in whatever videoeditor you have and export it AGAIN to DV avi, hopefully that Magix can do that. You get new DVavi file that is the same as your originals are. That is going to be your master for your archives. Back it up. Then make DVD out of that DVavi. Using whatever software, perhaps that Magix as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    this subject would be hot 20 years ago, just some deja-vu going on

For capturing I recommend using ScenalyzerLive, it is free now, more comfortable to use, capturing one long video or capturing into scenes (every time you pushed record while recording would be a new clip) . You have visual feedback of captured files in Scenalyzer Live, you can use that program as kind of manager of your database because you can scroll easily inside those clips.

Cut those clips in whatever videoeditor you have and export it AGAIN to DV avi, hopefully that Magix can do that. You get new DVavi file that is the same as your originals are. That is going to be your master for your archives. Back it up. Then make DVD out of that DVavi. Using whatever software, perhaps that Magix as well.
    Yes but experts say encoding AVI to MPEG-2 is needed before burning using HC.
    Quote Quote