VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've got a Sony Handycam XR160E which is a AVCHD camcorder. I use Pinnacle Studio 14 for my video editing. I used to use it for my old handycam which was using the mini-dv tapes so files transferred to pc is in .dv but I'm so new in this HD world, umm, it doesn't quite work the same way does it? I'm not using Sony's preloaded software as I'm so used to Studio 14. I tried import but it crashed. I tried just copy and paste the files in the camcorder into my computer then using Studio to browse the folders but it doesn't seem to open them. The files are in .ts but in studio it claims to support those files. So what am I doing wrong? Or should I try a different video editing software? What do you guys recommend that's easy to use and free? I'm just an amateur and doing this for home and private purposes. Thanks a lot ppls.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try pinnacle support? 14 is not that old that it shouldn't open the files.

there aren't any editors that are good and free. vegas studio should work for you.

you might try remuxing the ts with tsmuxer or tsremux for pinnacle
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. how large ( how long are your files ) i think that pinnacle 14 doesn't handle avchd files very good i think they corrected in ver 15.
    Try pinnacle support or another program sony vegas or premiere open ts mts files without problems ( you could alos try cyberlink powerdirector)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm...will try the mux and see...if not then will try sony's preloaded software. In any case, what do you guys think of Adobe Premiere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Pinnacle for years, and mammo (post above) is correct; vs14 does not handle AVCHD files well at all, it would recognize mine in the viewing screen, but would not move them into the editing section so I could work with them. Vs15 corrects this bug and works fine. What I had to finally do is convert my AVCHD files to mpeg4 with Handbrake (which did an excellent job) and then everything was smooth as silk in vs14. I lost a little resolution but the results still looked excellent. Just as a side thought....another way you can enter files into Pinnacle is to save them separately in a folder, open Studio, then drag & drop them into the viewing section above the editing screen. Works for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. Got v15 and works but lagging a lot. I will go buy some extra RAM. Anyway thanks so much.
    Quote Quote