VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I use ImgBurn to write an .avi file to a DVD-R so that it will play in a standard DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to author it to a dvd first before burning it to a dvd try using DVD Flick or AVStoDVD to author a dvd and then use Imgburn to burn the videots folder to a dvd-r
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want something totally free, also have a look at AVI2ISO

It converts AVI and MKV back to DVD ready to watch in a standalone, and has the ability to use AVISynth to add a lot more power and functionality to the conversion

I personally use ConvertXtoDVD v4.xx, the quality doesn't match HCEnc but 'they' refuse to add support for 3rd party encoders. Its better than most AVI converters and also handles virtually any video file you give it. It handles full resolution MKV's 1920x1080p a lot better than anything else, keeps audio pretty much in sync all th etime and can also burn to DVD when completed

Can also convert 2 channel AVI's to 5.1 sound, and it does work as the difference is very noticeable on our standalone with surround sound set-up when the 2-channel AVI is compared to the 5.1 conversion on DVD

Its not quick when converting full MKV 1920x1080p blu-ray sources to DVD specs, but it has a hell of a lot of work to do, on my Q6600 running at 3.2ghz it takes about 1-2 hours to convert the MKV, but the final quality is better than DVD sources
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMGBurn also will NOT convert an AVI, its purely for burning discs, DVD or CD, which its very very good at

I use it for all my DVD, data CD and also my X-Box 360 and Wii 'backups'. It can also burn audio CD's but found it gave me problems so use Easy CD-DA Extractor for my audio CDs

IMGBurn produces very high quality and compatable burns when compared to other burning software I have used in the past. Speed is NOT everything when you are burning discs. Quality is what counts. I burn at x8 for 99% of everything but use x16 media on the reasoning that the quality control is higher to produce x16 media so burnng a notch down should give guaranteed results 99.5% of the time ... which is usually does. Unless I screw up, its very rare I get bad burns, but also do NOT buy 'bargain' media

Pay that little bit more and save time and aggrevation later when you can't watch your films or have go out and buy better media and burn it all again
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Quality is what counts. I burn at x8 for 99% of everything but use x16 media on the reasoning that the quality control is higher to produce x16 media so burnng a notch down should give guaranteed results 99.5% of the time ... which is usually does. Unless I screw up, its very rare I get bad burns, but also do NOT buy 'bargain' media
    That is always sound advice; I only use Verbatim discs, most drives are calibrated for them. You don't have to pay extra to get quality media, just wait for sales and stock up according to your usage so you can last until the next sale. As for burning slower, the speed is dependent on the media and the drive. With todays high speed drives, 8x might not produce the best results. I've seen tests where using the disc's speed was better than the slower speed. Check out CDRLabs, they have nice in depth reports on drives.
    Quote Quote