VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I need to only simple edit (mostly cut off) parts of a few .mkv files that I have on my hard drive, so I can free up space after (some huge .mkv files). I tried using avidemux for the task, but I'm limited to cutting only at key-frames, and that doesn't even work for some of the bigger .mkv's as I get this message:

[Attachment 63019 - Click to enlarge]

So like, is there another program I could use that doesn't have this "frame limitation", or should I convert the .mkv to another format, and then back? Kinda confusing at this point, and any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by privatetl516; 16th Aug 2022 at 22:51.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a program here can't remember the name but it cuts frame accurate, the caveat being that it re-encodes just the few frames where it cuts to add keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cutting of compressed files at any position (except at key frames) requires (lossless) decompression (e.g. to .avi), then cutting and finally lossy re-compression of the entire file.
    So called "smart rendering" editors (e.g. VideoReDo) will process the frames around the cutting position only, and leave the rest intact (copy).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Cutting of compressed files at any position (except at key frames) requires (lossless) decompression (e.g. to .avi), then cutting and finally lossy re-compression of the entire file.
    So called "smart rendering" editors (e.g. VideoReDo) will process the frames around the cutting position only, and leave the rest intact (copy).
    That's the one. VidCutter does the same.
    But re-reading your post, if you wish to re-encode almost any encoder will cut frame accurate, though your quality will degrade.
    Quote Quote