VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any other apps that can do directcopy editing without re-encoding and have a timeline and layers like a simple NLE?
    Tried AviUtl (the english pack from this site) and was amazed as that looked exactly what i've been looking for for years of using avidemux.
    But i can't figure out how to export without re-encoding, even a single untouched file..

What i tried:
    Fresh install, didnt touch anything initially, dragged a single file on it, confirmed the import dialog to adjust the project resolution/fps to the imported file, even with the timeline closed, and nothing else touched.

Export attempts:
    File - Save as Avi - checked directcopy checkboxes for video and audio (tried no audio too) --> but it starts a very long exporting process.
    File - Export with plugins - Ffmpeg/avconv ---> starts a long export process too (tried no audio too)

Do i have to change some other settings? Something is still forcing re-encoding?
    Some reso/fps/colorspace mismatch between the project and imported file? i cant seem to find the project settings to verify.
    Something with the "presets for resize" and "presets for fps conversion" in the system settings?
    i checked the "change size" "change framerate" etc options in the Filter menus, everything on auto, cant seem to find anything that would seem to require reencoding.

I tried a few other single files that come from various sources, reso, codecs, framerates, but still the same with every different file. long export process with the directcopy on, not instant like avidemux.
    Surely i must be missing just something small
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by asdfg9 View Post
    Export attempts:
    File - Save as Avi - checked directcopy checkboxes for video and audio (tried no audio too) --> but it starts a very long exporting process.
    I have not much experience with AviUtil, but just did a quick test with a lossless .avi source (Huffyuv). It works fine here for simple cutting. The codecs for video and audio must be the same as those of the original source of course, otherwise decompression and possibly some reprocessing (e.g. of P, B frames) may kick in, which will be fast nevertheless. Is your source a lossy format? What do you see as codec when you check the Direct Copy?
    If your file is very large even copying to a slow drive will take some time though.
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jan 2022 at 07:57.
    Quote Quote