VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

my first post here

I have a couple of hours of home made recordings in mp4. The clips were captured with analog and digital 8 cams, in dv, edited and exported in mpeg-2 for making DVDs. Afterwards I converted them into mp4-Files.

Now I want to re-edit, making smaller clips, joining scenes, but without using software that re-encodes the mp4 because of a matter of time. I dont need effects, etc, just cutting. Can you recomend an easy tool for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Frank
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want to make your life more pleasant and maintain quality, use the DV clips to edit and then output the finished project to mp4. Any NLE (except Resolve) can handle this, including the trial period of Premiere.

If you insist on using the 3rd generation mp4s, use a smart renderer like VideoRedo or TMPGenc Smart Renderer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If you want to make your life more pleasant and maintain quality, use the DV clips to edit and then output the finished project to mp4. Any NLE (except Resolve) can handle this, including the trial period of Premiere.

If you insist on using the 3rd generation mp4s, use a smart renderer like VideoRedo or TMPGenc Smart Renderer.
    +1
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If you want to make your life more pleasant and maintain quality, use the DV clips to edit and then output the finished project to mp4. Any NLE (except Resolve) can handle this, including the trial period of Premiere.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunately I donīt have the DV-files anymore and capturing again is too much work. In that time there were no strorage options for such big flies. I remember, TMPEC had very good encoders, so I will give it a try with TMPGEnc Smart Render.

I also found Avidemux, it cuts and joins Mp4-Material. For my purpose it will be probably sufficient. It doesnīt re-encode what saves a lot of time.

Greetings

Frank
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by frankleppert View Post
    I also found Avidemux, it cuts and joins Mp4-Material. For my purpose it will be probably sufficient.
    It will lossless cut only cut on keyframes (just like any lossless editor). There may be several seconds between keyframes. If you want frame accurate cuts it will have to re-encode the entire video. The other editors will only re-encode the cut GOPs -- a few frames (or seconds) at the cuts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by frankleppert View Post
    Unfortunately I donīt have the DV-files anymore and capturing again is too much work. In that time there were no strorage options for such big flies. I remember, TMPEC had very good encoders, so I will give it a try with TMPGEnc Smart Render.

I also found Avidemux, it cuts and joins Mp4-Material. For my purpose it will be probably sufficient. It doesnīt re-encode what saves a lot of time.
    If you still have the mpeg2 files or DVDs, VideoRedo and TMPGenc and AviDemux will handle those as well. (AviDemux, with the same limitations jagabo mentioned above, though with shorter GOPs.) Trying to find a way to save you a generation here, obviously the actual editing will be a little less responsive than with DV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try a free trial of VideoRedo and see how that works for you.
    Quote Quote