VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have been capturing my video tapes (hi8 and vhs) through debut, i select the app to deinterlace for me ...

i am now struggling with bad stutter when capturing but find alot better when unselecting deinterlace but without it selected i keep getting double images on the screen and captures really bad ... can anyone help with this issue please

items i use :

1. Goldstar dv13i combi deck
    2. blackmagic intensity pro 4k
    3. avt8710 time base corrector
    4. key digital - spider series - kdvp8 processor

i get great image quality but the stutter is doing my head inn !!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post

items i use :

1. Goldstar dv13i combi deck
    2. blackmagic intensity pro 4k
    3. avt8710 time base corrector
    4. key digital - spider series - kdvp8 processor
    Sounds like you have some great hardware, however your situation can't be properly identified unless you provide some sample images. My guess going on what you have stated is that when you capture the footage without interlacing it doesn't appear properly on your screen which is perfectly normal for an interlaced source on a progressive display.

When you capture your footage you always want to capture in a raw format or one that doesn't require extreme processing power, when you de-interlace whilst you capture this puts a large stress on your CPU which often doesn't keep up with the amount of data coming in from your capture source. What happens is the CPU has to discard information as it can't process it fast enough, this is probably what is causing your stuttering but like I said without examples it's hard to say for sure.

You don't want to be capturing with de-interlace on, always capture without and then use an external program to do the de-interlace AFTER you capture the footage, many professional or experienced users will use AviSynth to do this, but there are many other simpler solutions like StaxRip that can do a variety of different techniques to clean up your capture including de-interlacing.

Best thing you can do right now is post some examples of what you are having troubles with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, you really need to create a topic header that reflects your issue to allow people to assess before reading. Both good practice and what is stated in the forum rules.

As to your current issue, I guess this is a combination of your TBC which is AFAIK a full-frame device rather than a line device so not really suitable for capture (unless you are removing MV) and attempting to capture progressive.

Really, VHS should be captured as interlaced and those double images are probably coming from the TBC. Turn it off to see if they go away.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i have just tested without the TBC and all now seems spot on thank you, ive had to bypass the TBC and the video processor, like i said before works spot on but image quality has taken a big hit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    hdfills, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. what time base corrector would be recommended please as the avt8710 time base corrector was causing my stutter ect ..... thank you all for the help so far aswell
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Firstly, you really need to create a topic header that reflects your issue to allow people to assess before reading. Both good practice and what is stated in the forum rules.

As to your current issue, I guess this is a combination of your TBC which is AFAIK a full-frame device rather than a line device so not really suitable for capture (unless you are removing MV) and attempting to capture progressive.

Really, VHS should be captured as interlaced and those double images are probably coming from the TBC. Turn it off to see if they go away.

you was totaly right but what type of TBC will i be needing for those headache transfers but everything you said was spot on thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a certain irony here that people will recc the avt8710 to remove 'stutter'. If it is causing it then the unit itself could be faulty. I read one article by a respected member of this forum - Lordsmurf - who knows a great deal more about this than I do who states that some models do have faulty chipsets. Quite possible that you do have one of these.

My concern was the combination of capturing progressive AND using a full-frame TBC. Have you actually tried capturing as interlaced with the TBC on ?

The normal signs with VHS are 'tearing' of the picture. A full-frame TBC will not fix that. What people tend to do is use a dvd-recorder as a pass-though device. Since many of these have a built-in TBC, and the TBC is of the 'line' variety, it should fix the tearing and steady the picture.

If you still have 'jitter' after that pass-though then you do need a full-frame TBC. But there are not many models and most will still recc the AVT8710.

My line-TBC of choice is a Canopus ADVC300 (the lower models 100/110 do not have this facility). But if you read the forum you will see many posts that rubbish this device. I know that Lordsmurf hates them . But I can only write of my own experience and it has done what it had to do.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you was totaly right but what type of TBC will i be needing for those headache transfers but everything you said was spot on thank you
    As stated above you will need a DVD recorder to utilize its Line-TBC function as a passthrough, this will allow you to capture without issues and then once you have that working you can experiment with your full frame TBC. Popular models discussed here are in the Panasonic ES line of DVD recorders such as the DMR-ES10 and ES-15.

Until you have tried that I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions about a faulty chipset and the likes just yet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. thank you for your replys, and polsom i will order a panasonic dvd recorder today ..... thank you again as it was driving me crazy DB83 all your advice has been excellent thank you
    Quote Quote  
  11. well my DMR-ES10 got deliverd and i setup along side my new sony hi8 player and key digital video processor and wow the quality is perfect and all i have tested today play back excellent for the age of the footage .... i can not thank you enough for your help
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well my DMR-ES10 got deliverd and i setup along side my new sony hi8 player and key digital video processor and wow the quality is perfect and all i have tested today play back excellent for the age of the footage .... i can not thank you enough for your help
    I would be interested to hear what the quality is like once you add your Full Frame TBC into the chain after the ES10. It's good to hear that you have everything under control and working for you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. to be honest the image is that stable now and smooth, i will not be adding it back so if anyone in the uk wants a free tbc as good as new you can have mine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Wise move. Why fix something that is not broken.

Better tho to keep that TBC having gone to the trouble/expense of getting it. There may still be a situation where, as I have described, you may need it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Your right the best idea will proberly keep on to the tbc just incase ... thanks again DB83 for your help my captures are very very good quality now and no stuttering or double images at all
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your right the best idea will proberly keep on to the tbc just incase
    I will happily pay the postage cost to Australia if you happen to change your mind
    Quote Quote