VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know where this belongs but I routinely capture MP4 videos on my phone/Cam and then they auto store to an SD card, but recently when I look for the file to play it back it only shows a file discription like ..VIDEO_2018810.mp4 but the actual file does not show up in photo album area, only on the SD card in settings. and when I try to play it! ...it displays file type not supported or Can't open file! Would anyone know what this might be? or why it's happening? ..also it happens mostly on longer videos of 1GB or more!
    Last edited by FL-Artist; 18th Oct 2018 at 22:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you check the "drive" format?.....FAT32 vs. NTFS?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try another SD card. Yours may be corrupted or a fake with a smaller actual size than listed, a common trick with card that have too good to be true prices.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's the worst kind of trouble ...It comes and goes! I have a Sandisk 32GB card NTFS I believe, and last night I shot an art gallery event and got the corrupt file, but I ran a 3GB test video this morning at home and file is normal on the Card! One thing I do see is when the file is normal, ..I get a little icon of the video alongside the file, and when it's corrupted, the SD Icon displays. Don't know if that means anything though.
    Last edited by FL-Artist; 19th Oct 2018 at 23:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is your phone using Android? If so, your card must be formatted FAT32 or Exfat32.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reformatted it today, and will test again, but I'm not sure if that is the issue, as it only occurs sometimes!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Highly recommend trying a new (ideally new) card, rather than taking risks with your current one.

Another thought is possibly the phone is overheating/malfunctioning over time. Is the corruption occurring after a certain time? Maybe try a lower resolution if possible and record long enough to hit the file size when the corruption happens.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested it tonight shooting a 1.36GB video, and no problems! ..but I will keep testing before shooting anything important. and Thanks for your Help everyone!
    Quote Quote