VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I have been thinking of buying DVD remake pro because it seems as if its very easy to use to put 2 or more DVDs onto one disc. I have done a search but I cannot find much info on it. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to use and does it shrink the movies for you or do you have to use another program (DVD shrink) to shrink them first.
    Thanks.
    life's a shit sandwich and everydays a bite
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, it doesn't shrink, so...
    Yes, you'll have to have another program for shrinking.

Are you sure you want to do this? To compress even two dvds into one, the quality is going to really drop a lot. More than two is...I can't think of the right word for it, but it's not good.

For what DvdRemake Pro costs, you could buy the better part of 200 Taiyo Yuden disks, and make good backups of your dvds. It's your decision, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know if this is what the OP intended, but I use DVD Remake Pro to merge two SL DVDs to a DL DVDR, and it works great for this process.

Of course you could also merge DVDs and if the result is oversize for SL DVDRs, shrink with DVDShrink or alternatively re-encode with DVDRB.

YMMV.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thespook
    Hi
    I have been thinking of buying DVD remake pro because it seems as if its very easy to use to put 2 or more DVDs onto one disc. I have done a search but I cannot find much info on it. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to use and does it shrink the movies for you or do you have to use another program (DVD shrink) to shrink them first.
    Thanks.
    I use DVDRemakePro and LOOOOVE IT! Yeah its pretty easy to merge up to 4 DVDs to 1 DVD-R.

On top of that DVDRemakePro is also a damned great program for when it comes to removeing ANY part of a movie you want, in order to save valueble space for quality. Fast and easy.

Well worth the price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    Are you sure you want to do this? To compress even two dvds into one, the quality is going to really drop a lot. More than two is...I can't think of the right word for it, but it's not good.
    Not necessarily. For anime fans like myself the disc-merge feature is quite useful, i use it all the time.

Most discs in an anime series only have about 3-4 episodes each and do not use up a DVD-5 after removing junk like excess intros/outros, trailers, ads, needless "special" features,etc. I've had a 4 episode DVD go from 6GB originally, to 2.64GB.

So thats definitly a joiner with another disc in the series thats also only about 2.6GB once the excess stuff is taken out. Once they are joined together and processed with a program like DVD2One, the quality ofcoarse is near-perfect since not that much had to be compressed.

This saves plenty of space overtime as instead of having to use two DVD-Rs, you can use 1 to backup every two DVDs in a large series set. Or 3 DVDs depending on if one is willing to sacrifice a little more quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVDRemake Pro for a number of things:

* To cut out any unwanted material - warnings, trailers, special features etc.

* To deactivate links to the removed material.

* To re-author such a DVD, but retain the main and chapter menus.

* To combine episodes from multiple disks and to create a menu to access them on one disc.

I know that all of the above can be done with combinations of freeware, but it's all in DVDRemake Pro and I find it more user-friendly than tools such as VOBBlanker.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @daamon:

Have you played with replacing the standard menu after merging multiple discs with a custom menu of your own ?

Pretty groovy
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    @daamon:

Have you played with replacing the standard menu after merging multiple discs with a custom menu of your own ?

Pretty groovy
    Meh standard join menu is good enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @daamon:

Pretty groovy
    Yes, I had trouble at first coz I wasn't going about it quite the right way - I had the right logic but the wrong implementation of it. I finally cracked it with help from here. Here's the thread with details...

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=283950

And, yes, I agree it comes out pretty well - "groovy", some would say...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by [url=https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=SUPER_1
    Super[/url] Warrior]
    @daamon:

Pretty groovy
    Meh standard join menu is good enough.
    Firstly, I was asking daamon directly , and secondly, I find the standard menu a touch bland. Especially something as fundamental as not knowing which is Disc 1 and which is Disc 2 (or Disc 3 and possibly Disc 4).

My imported menu is generally just something as simple as the following:

I just bought Hot Shots 1 & 2 as seperate titles and thought I'd combine them to a DL DVDR. The highlighted item's red rectangle fills with a transparent red covering (to indicate that it is selected), and fills with transparent blue when confirmed. The rectangle outlines aren't there, I just used them to outline the zones.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find the standard menu a touch bland.
    I don't care if its bland, it serves its purpose to be a simple menu letting one choose between the two discs. As for knowing which one is disc 1 and 2,etc.

If a movie and its sequel are on the same disc, simple common sense would obviously imply that "Movie 1" would be "Disc 1", and the sequel would be "Disc 2".

You could also include such information on the DVD-R label too, simply by putting a "1. or 2." at the begining of each name. Not that hard to figure out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ jimmalenko - Nice work!!!

Do you get the feeling of satisfaction when you've got a good looking menu that you've made yourself? I know I do... Sure, it takes up more time and common sense dictates which films are which from the menu, but I like to go the extra to make it look better. "Horse for courses..."

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Super[/url] Warrior]If a movie and its sequel are on the same disc, simple common sense would obviously imply that "Movie 1" would be "Disc 1", and the sequel would be "Disc 2".
    ... provided you imported the discs as assets in that order, of course.

I was talking more about when you have between 2 and 4 features merged onto the one disc that may or may not be related in that matter. For example I chose to put three "Unauthorised Biographies" series DVDs (Metallica, Bon Jovi and Linkin Park) onto the one DL DVDR.

Originally Posted by Super Warrior
    You could also include such information on the DVD-R label too, simply by putting a "1. or 2." at the begining of each name. Not that hard to figure out.
    True, but unless the top of your DVD player is see-through, I cannot see what's written on the top of the DVD-R when the disc is in the drive and spinning !

But anyway, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Originally Posted by daamon
    Do you get the feeling of satisfaction when you've got a good looking menu that you've made yourself? I know I do...
    I don't spend a helluva lot of time on menus to be honest - just enough to ensure that I can navigate around OK, but while still giving a little eye-candy when showing friends etc etc.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ... provided you imported the discs as assets in that order, of course.
    And why wouldn't you?

True, but unless the top of your DVD player is see-through, I cannot see what's written on the top of the DVD-R when the disc is in the drive and spinning !

But anyway, whatever floats your boat I guess.
    How did the DVD get in your player in the first place? Did it just magically beam itself from your DVD shelf into the player?

Wrong. You first took it out of the case yourself, you looked at it to make sure it was the correct disc you wanted to play, and you put it into the player. So yeah simply including some information on the label as to what is what, is sufficient.

Now if you hav'ent watched anything in a while and don't know what disc is currently in your DVD player, there is a method to find out this information too: Turn the DVD player on, press eject button, and *LOOK* at the disc label.

So yeah its not THAT hard to figure out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Super[/url] Warrior]How did the DVD get in your player in the first place? Did it just magically beam itself from your DVD shelf into the player?

Wrong. You first took it out of the case yourself, you looked at it to make sure it was the correct disc you wanted to play, and you put it into the player. So yeah simply including some information on the label as to what is what, is sufficient.

Now if you hav'ent watched anything in a while and don't know what disc is currently in your DVD player, there is a method to find out this information too: Turn the DVD player on, press eject button, and *LOOK* at the disc label.

So yeah its not THAT hard to figure out...
    That's all good and well for those "mere mortals" with a single DVD disc player, but what if you have one of these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3XRSO/002-8600724-7922438?v=glance&n=172282 ?

You wouldn't be "taking discs out of their cases, looking at them to make sure they were the correct discs and then putting it into the player yourself" too often then
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice toy - you got one? I can see how an enhanced menu image would definitely be of use with one of those babies...

I guess it's a case of do what suits you - enhanced menu or not depends on your needs and inclination. There's no right or wrong - just different. Afterall: "There's more than one way to skin a cat..."

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nice toy - you got one? I can see how an enhanced menu image would definitely be of use with one of those babies...
    Exactly. Unfortunately I do not posess one of those, but it would certainly back that line of reasoning up.

I guess it's a case of do what suits you - enhanced menu or not depends on your needs and inclination. There's no right or wrong - just different. Afterall: "There's more than one way to skin a cat..."
    Yep, you're right. As I said earlier, whatever floats your boat.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's all good and well for those "mere mortals" with a single DVD disc player, but what if you have one of these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3XRSO/002-8600724-7922438?v=glance&n=172282 ?

You wouldn't be "taking discs out of their cases, looking at them to make sure they were the correct discs and then putting it into the player yourself" too often then
    Ahem... if you took the time to actually read up on that unit, you'd see it has a *MENU SYSTEM*. That way you KNOW what disc your going to play, regardless of what each discs individual menu looks like.

Again, another way labeling easily solves that issue, only this time its the labeling on the player's menu.

Edit: Or one could simply write/type down the list of DVDs and their location in the player, if a built-in menu system was not there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    <diplomatically withdraws for the sake of peace>
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We get the point Super Warlord - there's more than one way to refer to the material on the disc and you have a preference that's different to someone else. Fine. Leave it... The thread's in danger of going way off track from the OP's original question.

Talking of which - I've just re-read the opening post and would like to add: I do all my work in DVDRemake Pro, export a "test" version of the final project (it's 5 seconds of menus and films - saving a lot of time to export) to check menus, navigation etc. I then export the full version and, finally, do any shrinking I need to.

@ thespook: I hope that helps... Good luck!

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers guys, went a bit off track but entertaining
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have just been reading some of the comments on the guide page http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/index.php
    and one of them said that after you had paid and downloaded the program it wants your computer ID before you can install it to make sure you do not pass it on to others, I was going to download it on one computer but use it on another one that is not connected to the internet. Can anyone tell me if this still applies or is it a straight forward download that I could use on either computer.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You would have to download the program twice, once for each computer with its' unique computer id. There is also a standard 48 hour wait between setting up different profiles (or whatever they call it) so you would have to wait 2 days before being able to download for the second computer. It's my understanding that you can ask for permission to do it sooner, but I've never tried it, so I can't tell you if it would work or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thespook
    I have just been reading some of the comments on the guide page http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/index.php
    and one of them said that after you had paid and downloaded the program it wants your computer ID before you can install it to make sure you do not pass it on to others, I was going to download it on one computer but use it on another one that is not connected to the internet. Can anyone tell me if this still applies or is it a straight forward download that I could use on either computer.

Thanks
    I believe that you are allowed to download to up to five different computer ID's - this is more to accommodate if you rebuild / update / change your PC rather than supporting distribution.

If you're not sure, email them - they're support is pretty good.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just FWIW .... someone else who wants to change the "standard issue" menu:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1537851#1537851

If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just FWIW .... someone else who wants to change the "standard issue" menu:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1537851#1537851
    Ummm Duh...Ofcoarse some people around will want to change the menu.

All i ever said was that even though the default menu is not all "spiffy" like you would like, personally its 'ok' and fine for my needs and serves its purpose well.

Believe it or not, i can live without having some "uber-Koolz!" custom menu done for it. No thanks.
    Quote Quote