VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a DVD that is in PAL w/DTS. I thought it was NTSC when I purchased it.

I’d like to convert it to NTSC with the DTS intact. I bought some DVD-R DL discs and ripped it with DVD Decrypter and tried to use Nero Vision 4, but Nero doesn’t support DTS.

I know there’s tons of information about converting PAL to NTSC in these forums, but the threads are a mile long and very confusing. Also, I didn’t see where DTS was discussed.

Anyone know of the best way to do this?

Please bear in mind that when I say “best” I mean easiest. If there’s a reasonably priced program (under $100.00) that will convert and burn without dissecting the files, that would be nice.

Many thanks in advance,

Rick

P.S. I have converted PAL to NTSC before, but ran into a bad video/audio sync problem. It doesn't always happen, but when it does - the DVD-R is nearly unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No easy way to do it.

That's the truth.

However ...

You can rip it and re-encode the video and then use the audio but you need some tools.

Bare minimum would be a MPEG encoder such as TMPGEnc Plus or CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder). Either way you go the price is about $60.00

Then you need a DVD authoring program that can handle DTS. Best one there is probably DVD-Lab Pro (that is what I use) but that program is like $200 or so.

DVDauthor is free and I think it supports DTS.

Don't expect to keep the original menu design but you can get very good video quality.

But you will have to disect and use a lot of tools (mostly freeware other than what I mentioned).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    You are better off buying a DVD player that can play any region DVD disc and can do PAL to NTSC conversion. One such DVD player is the Philips DVP-5140 which can be bought at WALMART for around $56 USA Dollars.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks FulciLives,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

There's a ton of players out there that will convert PAL to NTSC and have DTS. The funny thing is that the DVD I bought is a Concert and I can listen to it in DTS with my existing Home Theater gear.

Besides that, every scenario I've seen posted for converting PAL to NTSC using SOFTWARE has been full of shortcomings or errors and so forth. Not to mention, it takes incredible amounts of time to go through all the steps using all the different programs, wait for all the extractions, transcodings, authoring, and burnings, only to find out you've just made another coaster.

Why didn't I think of going HARDWARE - what a concept!!!

Consider this post closed.

Thanks again,

Rick
    Quote Quote