VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I am a little out of my depth and wondered if someone could help.
    I have captured some treasured family memories for an old Aunt from a VHS source using a 4k cam link. The average file size is 17 gig for the 2 hours +
    I bought a portable media player with HDMI out to connect to her tv via a NTFS formatted USB drive. If I play a 4 gig file size no issues but it fails if I try the 17 gig file. I do not really want to convert as the original quality isn't great.

Can anyone point me in the right direction re a suitable portable player etc

Thank you in anticipation

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  2. you say you don't want to convert the file to a smaller size, but have you actually tried?
    It is possible to bring this down from 17gb without losing quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Keeping a 17gb rip from a VHS source makes no sense.
    Downsize the file with an x264 encoder, with a CRF 18, and you have a usable file without visible quality loss.
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI for this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    you say you don't want to convert the file to a smaller size, but have you actually tried?
    It is possible to bring this down from 17gb without losing quality.

Many thanks for the prompt reply I will look into that

Regards
    Andrewe
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Keeping a 17gb rip from a VHS source makes no sense.
    Downsize the file with an x264 encoder, with a CRF 18, and you have a usable file without visible quality loss.
    Many thanks for the link I will download and try. One quick question, when capturing the vhs source is there a preferred format to capture it in?

Regards
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fogmajor View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Keeping a 17gb rip from a VHS source makes no sense.
    Many thanks for the link I will download and try. One quick question, when capturing the vhs source is there a preferred format to capture it in?

Regards
    Andrew
    Yes, SD (720x576 PAL) using a lossless codec such as HuffyUV, UT codec or Lagarith.

Another option is Mpeg-2 capture device, simple editing, then to DVD without further loss of quality
    Last edited by davexnet; 29th Jun 2021 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote