VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I pretty often does screen captures of complex applications (office, websites, various technical applications etc but not gaming) for learning purposes.

Normally, I use Avidemux to trim and encode the videos. And most of the times, a couple of minutes of recording may take less than 4MB of space - that is very good compression.

Since the video mostly consists of still pictures where small parts are moving/changing I'm thinking - is there certain settings that may further increase compression ratio or retaining sharpness (small characters/icons) specific for this kind of source video ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. For x265 --tskip
    https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/lossless.html#transform-skip

Also , longer GOP intervals (but this adversely affects seeking), more b-frames

If there are sections with no difference at all (no movement, static sequences), then VFR can help

Quality wise for sharpness of small icons, chroma subsampling can make a difference. YUV444 will be more clear than YUV420, but YUV444 will not be supported by as many scenarios (e.g. if you share on youtube, it will be converted to 420 anyways)
    Quote Quote