VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to hear from people backing up movies and get some general feelings from you about what have been some hard/impossible discs to copy and what has been some of the easiest, even those that are already under 4.37 which is obviously ridiculously easy =) but it would be nice to know, that way everyone including myself would know what to rent ...errrrr expect when attempting it. here is the layout of my method, pretty much the doom guides, and since i'm interested mainly in how these stories would possibly affect me, i'd appreciate it if your methods do not deviate too vastly from my own. i rip with dvd decrypter, but any will do. i rip the entire contents, because i try to have all the dvd extras on my backups. ifoedit to stip languages and unused subs. here is where i have a choice. depending on the disc i will use either rempeg or CCE to transcode. i try to never drop rempeg below 62% although sometimes i have had awful quality at over 80% sometimes great at under 60% with CCE i do the usual dvd2avi, vfapiconv, then transcode with CCE. ripping subs is not an important step to talk about, but i do it for myself. then i use scenarist to author the vob's and back to ifo edit to put it all back together.

ok, i know this is starting to get really long, and i'm sorry for that, but i wanted to have a fairly specific thread here. it would be nice if everyone who responds has done atleast 10 backups successfully. i know that my first was remember the titans, and it kicked my arse. but then after i learned more about it, it wasn't hard at all. so i assume if you have only done one or two, then probably both of them were hard =) so i'd like to limit the replies to people who have done enough to get a real feel for the level of hardness.

if you think that i should include other questions or points then feel free to ad them yourself, this is just something i'm doing for my own curiosity and to hopefully help out others who may be having problems with the "toughies"

a short list of the problem movies i have had are: shrek, the others, and jfk. i finally got them all done, but not without serious tweaking. some easy/under4.37 movies have been : run lola run, smokey and the bandit, cannonball run, shallow grave, neaitufl girls, a murder of crows, k-pax, the hitcher, cool hand luke, tombstone, and jennifer 8

i hope i get some responses here, and i'll keep coming back and updating as i find easy ones and also when i have serious problems with some.

$1.09
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have also noticed that 99% of all xxx/adult dvd's are under 4.37GB and extremely easy to copy
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think copying a moive from a DvD is pretty easy and straight forward with all the great guides on this site and this forum. Where I'm having some problems are converting an AVI to VCD or SVCD.

I have an AVI file, and my first attempt using DvD2SVCD resulted in the video being choppy when played. So I tried again, but now the video is great but the sound cuts out after 20 seconds or so. I'm still learning this new program, DvD2SVCD, and ripping a DvD with it works great. My only complaint about the program is the ability to stop it and view a sample like I can do manually with TMPGEnc before I let it continue to the end the conversion. It would be great to have the ability to do a sample say for 2 minutes, then the program quits; thus, allowing you to check for any errors in the encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. At the moment, it seems like the multi-PGC (Warner Bros.) movies are the severe pain in the butt to copy if you want to keep the original structure. I haven't seen a good guide for one of these (Did I miss it?).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Training Day, using the newest guide on doom' s site is proving to be a challenge =) multi pcg
    Quote Quote