Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi hope this is the right place.

i have long computer with following spec;
    Amd 3400+
    2 Gb ram
    500 HDD
    Msi- 7228 motherboard with built in graphic and sound.

i dont have any other card for graphic or sound.

now when i play 720p i have no problem in watching it properly. but whenever i download any movie file of 1080p whether it is 1.0Gb or 4 Gb, it freezes alot and skip screens as well.

is they any way i can play it using my existing system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a dual core cpu? If its not dual core you will have problems.

Also chances are motherboard graphics aren't up to the task for 1080p.

You could easily get a graphics card with h264 support that will take the load off the cpu and process it much more easily.

However your main bottle neck will be the processor. I'm just not sure how feasible it is to do 1080p on a single core pc.

I would search for a test program that determines if you can play bluray properly. That would indicate if you can do 1080p. I think powerdvd has one. I'll see if i can dig up a link for you.

Edit - http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

That is a link for the bluray advisor program they have. I'd take it with a little grain of salt as this would probably be for an ideal + setup and a slightly lower configuration may do 1080p just fine but they may want to push you to a more powerful setup.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your playing software supports setup for memory cache for local files or streams, use it. You didn't say what you were using.

VLC used to support caching settings but the newer ones don't ... I think that's pretty dumb, I wouldn't use a player that didn't have it. At least for video ... I do use vlc for audio.

SMPlayer, which is what I almost always use for video, does support it. I set the local file stream to 8192Kb, for geeky reasons.

I'm not 100% sure that would work for you but caching can really help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AMD Turion 1.6GHZ (on my old laptop) did not play for me

Core2Duo 2.0 GHZ played 1080p with more than 90% CPU

Both with 2GB RAM.

Even CQ56 plays well with a HD GPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vampelle View Post
    Amd 3400+
    No. For CPU based playback you need a dual core CPU.

Originally Posted by vampelle View Post
    Msi- 7228 motherboard with built in graphic and sound.
    (Nvidia 6100 GPU) No. For GPU playback you need a GPU that supports DXVA.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank all for the help.
    it is AMD Athlon 3400+.

i was playing 1080p movies in vlc which given me the problem. but strangely when i download windows media player cinema version it was much much better, hardly notice the freezes of the video but the audio sometimes skips ahead.
    but with the windows media player i had the issues that i could not turn the audio from stereo to 5.1 in a second like i do in vlc.

i will try smplayer as well.

also since the board and processor are so old i cant find any graphic card here to use it. i use the built in audio and graphic card which i update from nvidia
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smplayer also played just like windows media player but both have this issues.
    cant change the bright, contrast while watching the movie as VLC have it
    and increasing the volume more higher as VLC.

but did found 5.1 and stereo in smplayer. if any idea how i can change the brightness and contrast just like vlc and other function i might go for it
    Quote Quote  
  8. While a multi-core CPU is best you can get yourself a videocard with a better GPU(GTX series), that way it will use hardware acceleration.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, that motheboard appears to have a PCI-E 16 slot. An inexpensive graphics card capable of h.264 decoding (DXVA) will allow most 1080p content to play. 1080p 24, 25, and 30 fps will usually work. 50 or 60 fps may not.
    Quote Quote  
  10. An old Windows XP Pentium Pro PC at 3 Ghz with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card in the PCe slot works fine for 1080p. Media Player Classic Home Cinema works best for me when watching 1080p although other players usually work OK also.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you set the smplayer file stream cache in preferences like I suggested? I don't think it'd play 1080p properly without it on a single core machine.

smplayer has brightness etc controls. Right click -> video -> equalizer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danzeb View Post
    An old Windows XP Pentium Pro PC at 3 Ghz with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card in the PCe slot works fine for 1080p. Media Player Classic Home Cinema works best for me when watching 1080p although other players usually work OK also.
    can you tell me where i can set the setting of brightness and contrast from while watching movie
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Did you set the smplayer file stream cache in preferences like I suggested? I don't think it'd play 1080p properly without it on a single core machine.

smplayer has brightness etc controls. Right click -> video -> equalizer.
    once i restarted my system, it seems that i did not to ret the stream cache since the movie is now working smoothly in smplayer and even in window media player cinema and umplayer as well.
    and when i reset the setting of vlc to default the stream improve alot but still freezes now and then.

okay i found the equalizer, but when i tried to increase or decrease them it took no effect on the movie while watching it. any idea why or should i reinstall it?

As now my system is playing the format of 1080p smoothly i dont need the graphic card. i believe the max fps i have download are not more than 24 to 30. guess the 50 fps will be around 10gb size. i just dont go over 2 Gb size. whether for 720p or 1080p

And thank you all for your help
    Quote Quote