VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

I read on Wikipedia that Final Cut Pro requires Intel processors. Is this true? If I have a computer with AMD processor, it won't work at all?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Final Cut Pro only runs on Apple MAC OSX.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FCP requires a Mac running OSX. I suppose, given enough effort, one might be able to turn your PC into a Hackintosh but I'd not expect it to run FCP properly. Buy a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, guys, but that's not what I asked.

If there is a Mac (or a PC, I don't care) with an AMD processor inside, will Final Cut Pro work at all (given that there is that AMD processor powering the respective computer)? Do you know?

I didn't say one word about hacinposh, or other things like that.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Final Cut Pro only works on the Mac OS X
    Mac OS X only runs legally on Apple Mac computers
    Apple Mac computers use Intel CPUs. There are no AMD Apple Mac computers.

If Apple says FCP does not run on AMD processors this could mean

1. That it simply has not been tested on AMD processors because there are no AMD powered Macs to test it on. Therefore Apple cannot guarantee that it will work
    2. That is has been tested on an AMD based test system and found not to work
    3. That Apple simply do not want you using FCP on non-Apple hardware, and have deliberately knobbled it so it cannot run on AMD hardware
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeanpave View Post
    Thank you, guys, but that's not what I asked.
    In this particular case, it doesn't matter what you asked, because the facts (as guns1inger pointed out) make your question irrelevant. Final Cut Pro is a Mac-only product. There is no PC version of Final Cut Pro. Macs only use Intel processors, there are no Macs with AMD processors. Put all those facts together and you'll get your answer, if you actually bother to listen to what we're telling you.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Final Cut has an interesting history. Originally known as KeyGrip when developed at Macromedia, later renamed to Final Cut, it was first shown in both Windows and Mac versions. When Apple acquired the project from Macromedia in 1998, the Windows version was dropped. The CPU processor wasn't the issue, Macs then ran on the Power PC. The decision to terminate the Windows version was a business decision by Apple.
    See "History"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro

Note that Apple has complete control of where Final Cut Pro will run since they control both the application and Quicktime for Windows. The hardware CPU isn't the issue. Compatibility starts at the OS level.
    Last edited by edDV; 26th Sep 2010 at 13:54.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much, Guns1inger and EdDV.
    That's all I was trying to find out.

Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    In this particular case, it doesn't matter what you asked, ... Put all those facts together and you'll get your answer, if you actually bother to listen to what we're telling you.
    Okay, okay, no need to get testy. I just couldn't believe Macs never have AMD processors. They're quite good now, you know... Anyway, thanks for telling me that fact.
    Quote Quote