VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So say I captured a video at 1440p, but I would like to get rid of some parts, basically crop the video to 1080p without having to re-render. Is there a way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by deama View Post
    So say I captured a video at 1440p, but I would like to get rid of some parts, basically crop the video to 1080p without having to re-render. Is there a way to do this?
    Usually not

But some formats like AVC, HEVC have a crop frame flag. It's basically a signal that tells a player to crop upon playback. This metadata is part of the official spec, but not all players software/hardware necessarily support it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or you can remux it into a container that supports cropping (MKV). The only players I know of that support this type of cropped playback are MPCBE and PotPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't want players I want to create a new copy of the 1440p that will be cropped to 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by deama View Post
    I don't want players I want to create a new copy of the 1440p that will be cropped to 1080p.
    There's no such way.

You cannot actually crop video frames unless you demux and decode the video stream first.
    That involves a re-encoding process, which means you must go through a downgrade of the video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    Originally Posted by deama View Post
    I don't want players I want to create a new copy of the 1440p that will be cropped to 1080p.
    There's no such way.

You cannot actually crop video frames unless you demux and decode the video stream first.
    That involves a re-encoding process, which means you must go through a downgrade of the video quality.
    Or you could use a lossless compression codec or no compression and not lose any quality -- but the file sizes will be enormous. And playback options limited.
    Quote Quote