VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right place to ask this, no software related forums here. Looking to buy this software but before I put down the cash I need to know if maybe there are better/cheaper alternatives to CVS x6. Avi demux is fine but too basic and I have to use multiple software to complete the other steps of the job. Currently try to do simple edit to capture footage and CVS lets me do these things well:

Multi-edit of single video clip
    Using multiple cut clips to create 1 long video
    Output at source video; 1920x1080, 60fps avi

I tried alot of other software and obviously they have their own trimming and editing functions, each slightly worse or better than the last one but the biggest issue is that almost all of them cant seem to output the video at the same format as source video. They all seem to want to reencode my video. I really hate that. CVS and avi demux can spit out the cut footage but for some reason other software either dont have that ability or can only do so in popular preset formats i.e youtube etc. Idk if CVS and ai demux also recode the video but at the very least they spit out similar to what I put in. Either Im doing something wrong(very likely) or trail software has this function locked somehow.

Software I tried:
    AVS video editor
    Movavi video suite
    Sony Movie studio HD 11

Input and suggestions needed, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's a few limitations when it comes to cutting and appending video. It needs to be cut on keyframes which means without re-encoding you mightn't always be able to cut exactly where you want to. Some programs will do "smart cutting", where if you don't cut on a keyframe they'll only re-encode the section around the cut point rather than re-encode the lot. I can't recommend one as I've not needed something like that myself.
    You can only append files without re-encoding if they contain the same type of audio and video etc but if you're just wanting to rejoin files you've cut/split that shouldn't be an issue.

If you're just working with AVIs have you tried VirtualDub? It'll let you select start and end points for editing after which you can delete the selected video or save it as a new AVI etc. To save without re-encoding the video you need to select "direct stream copy" as the video encoding method. It has "key buttons" on the navigation bar in order to jump from one keyframe to the next, or if you hold down the shift key while using the navigation slider it'll always stop on a keyframe.
    You can append AVIs with VirtualDub and resave them as a single AVI without re-encoding.

To be honest I'd imagined AviDemux could do all the above but I don't use it myself. What's your definition of "too basic"? I guess I'm asking.... aside from what I've already mentioned, what other functionality do you need?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what your input is, and what you want for output. Also depends on what "simple cut and join" really means, as some people think it means using a complex timeline, color correcting, making titles, adding 7 audio tracks, etc., etc. etc.. If you're getting that complicated or joining pieces of dissimilar video, obviously the output must conform to a common denominator (you don't say much about what you use for input).

Two basic ways of doing this simple cut and join operation are to decode everything to lossless media, and either output to lossless media for further process/encoding, or encode to a delivery format (MPEG, AVCHD, BluRay, etc,). All we know at this point about the format/encoding details of your input/output is that it's "video" and it's in lossy encoded form.

Either work with lossless media (which means re-encoding, of course, but without most of the damage) or use a smart-rendering editor. Most freebies are either non-smart-rendering or have few features. In fact, the usual run of paid budget apps from Adobe, Vegas, Corel, etc., are not smart-rendering jobs with most encoded formats.

For several lossy input formats try TMPGenc Smart Renderer v4. Has a few features (dissolves, text, etc.) that don't involve heavy re-encoding, accepts many input formats that lots of other apps don't even know about). Otherwise work with lossless or consider spending some serious cash.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Sony Movie Studio is what you need.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Movie Studio is not a smart rendering editor AFAIK. I think DV-AVI is its forte. Could be wrong. I don't believe the O.P. stated precisely what is being worked with.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VideoStudio is your best bang for the buck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not a smart rendering editor. Isn't this where we started at post #1?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I digress
    Quote Quote  
  9. Man corel is having a BF sale till nov 28 and its now sitting at $39 aaaand I have only 1 vote for its so far on this thread lol. Ok I think at that price I might just bite then. Alot of this video talk goes over my head sometimes but I think the Videostudio does what I need it to do, working with it for a good 15 days now and no issues so far and quality hit to media is acceptable. Smart rendering might be great but the prices arnt though. I'm willing to take some hit on the video quality and Im already working with lossy media if the software will do what I tell it to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVS Video Editor have all need and output 1920x1080x60 AVI too.
    Quote Quote