VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I'm trying to avoid using codec packs but getting subs to work properly has been a little bit painful

I downloaded directvobsub and that just gives me a dll. Am I not supposed to do something with this?

I see on this the tool webpage on this site that it says you have to register the dll but what if I want to configure the dll? How do I configure it if all that comes with it is the dll?

I want to get into the options in order to check the option that will show forced subtitles only.

Also it's unclear whether this route will work for WMC 64bit as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Register it and then when you play you will see the green arrow in notification area where you can adjust settings.

Or use mpchc, it has builtin subtitle renderer.

Or if you use ffdshow you can enable subs in it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your ability to play subtitles in MKV files depends on what splitter you are using for MKV's. If you are using the DIVX tech preview splitter (media foundation) for MC7, forget about subs because there are no media foundation subtitles filters. If you are using Halli's splitter (direct show filter), then you'll need a codec pack to play the audio, the video, and the subtitles. So you have two choices. Not use and codec packs and just use the DIVX splitter = No subs, no multichannel audio via SPDIF, or install a codec pack and get subs working.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want my HTPC to use GPU acceleration. If I install Shark's latest packs, I will not get that. My cpu usage jumps to almost full utilization. I think part of that has to do with not wanting to use the latest Haali splitter because of the bugs with that release but I've run into no problems so far.

I can get audio / video playback in every video type I've thrown at my HTPC. What I don't have right now though is subtitle support.

Baldrick, do I need a 64bit version? And the instructions on this site mention registering a splitter instead of the filter file that is in the zip file

jlchavis, this is all I have installed...

Latest Haali splitter
    AC3 Filter
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I want my HTPC to use GPU acceleration. If I install Shark's latest packs, I will not get that. My cpu usage jumps to almost full utilization. I think part of that has to do with not wanting to use the latest Haali splitter because of the bugs with that release but I've run into no problems so far.

I can get audio / video playback in every video type I've thrown at my HTPC. What I don't have right now though is subtitle support.

Baldrick, do I need a 64bit version? And the instructions on this site mention registering a splitter instead of the filter file that is in the zip file

jlchavis, this is all I have installed...

Latest Haali splitter
    AC3 Filter
    The reason that you aren't getting hardware acceleration is because you aren't using a h264 filter with DXVA (Direct-X Video Acceleration). You'll either have to install one (FFDShow has one was well as divx, MPC-HC, etc.). The one that comes with windows in a media foundation (not Direct show). Once you installed the Haali spliter, you can not use media foundation to play audio or video with MKV's. Sharks includes about 6 different h264 direct show with hardware acceleration. CoreAVC is the best for low end computers. I use FFDShow DXVA myself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But I can't use media foundation to play mkvs anyway, right? I mean none of my mkvs will play unless I install Haali. I'm not sure if I'm getting hardware accelaration when I play mkvs but I certainly see much less CPU usage when I just have that installed.

Coreavc does not work well in Win 7 64 bit. Unless they fixed it within the past few weeks? I have posts on their forum along with others pointing it out to the developers. Coreavc was the worse in performance versus the rest. I think they're concentrating more on CUDA with latest releases
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like something might have changed because I decided to give Shark007's codec packs again and cpu performance didn't seem so bad. I did make the change to dxva like you mentioned. I'll use these for now.
    Quote Quote