Hi all,

New to this forum and not a video expert...I recently upgraded my SD Directv receiver to the HD H-24. Previously, I had successfully connected a Magnavox MDR513H HDD DVR to the SD receiver and an HD TV in order to record shows I missed (without paying the Directv fees). It worked great.

With the new HD receiver, I can no longer record to the HDD, although I can play previously recorded shows (in SD). There is one HDMI port on the HDD and that has to be connected to the TV in order to play recorded content. Right now, I have tried splitting the HDMI from the receiver to the TV (works) + the options below to the HDD:
  1. HDMI convert to S Video –> HDD (HDD S Video OUT convert to Composite on TV)
  2. HDMI convert to S Video convert to Composite –> HDD (HDD Composite –> Composite on TV)
  3. HDMI convert to S Video convert to Composite –> HDD (HDD Composite Convert to Coax on TV)
  4. Both PAL and NTSC tried on HDMI converter (I'm trying everything I can think of)

I find that the signal passes through the splitter to the HDD tuner (I can watch TV through the HDD), but it will not record. After some research, I assume the problem is the HDCP authentication.

So, if that is the problem...is it possible in 2019 to find an HDMI splitter that will bypass the HCDP encryption? Seriously, I'm not a pirate...it would be way too hard to pirate content through this old HDD. I'm just trying to find a way out of paying any more cash to Directv. BTW, before anyone suggests it, I can't stream because we have no reliable internet connection in my rural location that isn't metered.

Just trying to reason this out. Not going to ruin my life if I can't make it work.

Thanks in advance,
acgirl