VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a WinFast TV2000xp capture card on a XP machine with 768mb ram and 3ghz processor. I've done a fresh install, so nothing is running besides the capture program. After about 15 minutes or so, the audio becuase noticeably desynced. I can't remember if it comes before or after the video, but it defiantly gets worse as the movie progresses. I've had his problem for quite some time, please help. Oh, I'm using the PVR 2 capture program that is available for download on Leadtek's website.

I read the audio/video sync sticky in this forum.
    1) Is your hard drive fast enough?
    Some of the older drives don't have a sustained data rate that can handle such a fast read/write scenario as capture. It's 7200 RPM

2) Are you capturing to your primary hard drive?
    Not the best idea.
    If your financies stretch consider investing in a second hard drive, and use this only for capture, not part capture and part storage. I'm using a secondary 200GB IDE

3) Do you have a VIA chipset?
    Whilst I've heard many people have nothing but 100% success with these chipsets, I and many others had many problems which were only solved by changing motherbaords and ultimately chipsets.
    If you have the chance, try aim for Intel and SiS.
    Try a google search for 'VIA LATENCY' and you'll see what problems can occur.
    A known problem chipset is the KT133. No idea, I have an intel motherboard

4) Are you sure your system is configured correctly?
    It doesn't hurt to run a thorough check of your hardware. Yes it is

5) Are you veiwing the final mpeg with Windows Media Player?
    If so, don't.
    Try burning to a dvd-r/+r/cdr and viewing on a standalone, it may simply be the software your veiwing it with.
    That makes it worse

5) Do you have an onboard soundcard?
    Onboard soundcards are real system drainer's, and are often the cause of audio/video sync issues.
    Try borrow a PCI soundcard (I know that's not always easy) and see if your problem goes away.
    I have a PCI soundcard but it's very very old, possible cause?

6) How reliable is your source?
    If you have a very poor VHS tape you're attempting to convert, check your capture settings?
    For instance, Pinnacle Studio 8 is horrendous for analogue capture and in one of my attempts at 30 minute capture ended up five seconds out of sync!
    Very reliable cable broadcast
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try to record with a software like virtualvcr (freeware) and record in 32Khz if it's from a vhs.

An old sound card may be a problem indeed you should prefer cards with audio inputs included instead of relying on another sound capture device
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dropped frames can also cause the audio to get out of sync with the video. Getting worse over time can be a symptom of this. The longer the video continues, the more frames get dropped, the worse the audio/video sync gets.
    Try changing different capture settings to minimize dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I've tried different settings, it's weird because sometimes theres sync problems and sometimes there's not. I do prefer cards with their own sound inputs but I got this one for free from a friend and don't exactly have money to go buy another one. I'm gonna go download virtualvcr and try that but I really would like to stick with PVR 2 because of the timer recording, if anyone has any more suggestions or tweaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen similar problems with fragmented drives or partitions that are getting close to full. Video frames are lost due to head seek yet audio remains buffered.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm paranoid and defrag probably every other day, and the partition is 68.5 free of 186.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dropped frames can come from the scenes being changed when the source is turned off and on again such as a camcorder,if thats the case then cap the scenes and stop when they change and start a new file after a new scene starts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Dropped frames can come from the scenes being changed when the source is turned off and on again such as a camcorder,if thats the case then cap the scenes and stop when they change and start a new file after a new scene starts.
    Like the title says, it's a cable TV source, just a straight broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would suspect that the capture card is dropping frames.
    Try reducing the resolution/bitrate to see if that makes a difference.
    Also check with the manufacturer to see if there is updated firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you attempting a fully uncompressed capture? I suggest you use huffyuv to get the bitrate down. Other option is a RAID zero for drives 2 and 3.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote