VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was using windows 10 firewall control for the last few years but got tired of it always asking for permission for battlenet to go through plus a couple more apps,decided to try a freeware app with no ads,privatefirewall,seems to be less intrusive with repeated requests on trusted apps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    PC Tools Firewall Plus.
    Lightweight, and just does its job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ZoneAlarm.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Comodo was pretty good when I was using it years ago, but it may have changed. I haven't used any Firewall myself for a long time. When you're behind a router, which is effectively a hardware firewall, also running a software firewall seems to be more hassle than it's worth. If you have a need to block specific software from communicating with the internet, that may be a different story.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like having a non windows firewall so i can see if any program tries to connect to the web,gives me a choice to block/allow and see if it is malware/adware/candyware that got installed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use Comodo firewall and am pretty happy with it.
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I used Comodo firewall for a number of years, quite happily, until I started having problems with it, a year or two ago. I now use Private firewall and am very satisfied with it. It's unobtrusive, with the minimum of fuss and just gets on and does it's job quietly.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  8. Personally, I miss using Sygate Pro before Symantec gobbled the company up. These days I use the firewall integrated into ESET Smart Security.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hey Guys,

I used ZoneAlarm for years but later versions got to clunky.
    I switched to windows 8 firewall on some good recommendations.
    Been using it with <Windows Firewall Control> its worked good.
    What The ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Using Glasswire on my Win10 rig right now. The free version will report activity but not offer to block it. You can view the log and block the activity from there after the fact. The paid version has real-time blocking. It's worked well and been unintrusive. I have Comodo 7 on my Win7 rig. It's worked well but occasionally causes some annoying issues. I tried V8 and ditched it due to how it changed alternate stream info and caused all my differential backups to be massive since the dates on everything had changed. There is an option to disable that in the newest version, but I installed the new version on my Win10 rig to start with and after a week of trying to get it to work I gave it up. I just had too many issues with it. The clock wouldn't even sync correctly with Comodo, even after the people on their forums tried to help with with a custom setup. It's just gotten too bloated and convoluted.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    privatefirewall
    Same. Best thing is it's FREE.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Me too Privatefirewall however it is not as smooth as it should be - at first annoying application blocking (it can be disabled but... why then use firewall?), side to this annoying way to ask after reboot about some programs, also some unclear dependencies (i use Total Commander as basic and frequently application called to process data like image viewers may work or not however there is no clear information so sometimes chasing all those dependencies is not clear (looks also like ignoring manual settings).
    To conclude probably best firewall especially with best price/quality ratio but not free from some problems.
    I use as reference Kerio Firewall 2.1.5.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using the Windows 10 firewall, but for XP, (dual boot) I'm not using a software firewall at all,
    relying on the hardware router
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    For the notes:

on my jurassic Pentium 4 running XP Pro, I have Filseclab's Personal Firewall.
    While I used XP Home Edition, I used Kerio's tiny firewall. Unfortunately this latter is not compatible with XP Pro ,
    this is the reason why I had to switch to Filseclab (which, OTOH, is not compatible with Vista and later ).
    Quote Quote