VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I ran into this problem while using FineSharp at "Light" mode using StaxRip. Was wondering what this problem is and how to fix it using filters.

In this freeze frame it is very noticeable.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2024-03-22-22h46m48s852.png
Views:	45
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	77870  

Quote Quote  
  2. Those lines were probably there before sharpening but sharpening made them more visible. You'll need to supply a sample of your source video for better analysis.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the original clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I found out the problem. My S-VIDEO cable is poor quality. Any good cable recommendations?

(Kind of mad because I digitized like 3 tapes that are like 6 hours.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Decent 6 foot s-video cables run $10 to $15 in the USA.

You can eliminate those diagonal lines by downscaling the video to about 440x480 the upscaling back to 720x480. Given the inherent low resolution of VHS that will not hurt the video much.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could this be the reason why its doing that? I didn't show it before but this is my device.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-23 124048.png
Views:	13
Size:	882.6 KB
ID:	77875  

Quote Quote  
  7. That broken s-video connector could cause problems. But I would expect something worse than a little noise. Try wiggling the cable at the connector. If the signal drops in/out you definitely have a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah the signal dropped, became pixelated, and black and white. This thing might be broken.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You could also, just for a test, try the composite (yellow) connector instead of S-video. If you get diagonal lines using composite instead of S-video, that might mean that part of the problem is the device.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. I tried it and the artifacting is not there.

But it is kind of annoying since I don't have higher quality rips. I might just get a new card.

Name:	vlcsnap-2024-03-23-17h03m03s009.png
Views:	7
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	77888  

Quote Quote  
  11. Using composite will lead to other problems -- dot crawl artifacts, more blurring, more chroma noise, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Using composite will lead to other problems -- dot crawl artifacts, more blurring, more chroma noise, etc.
    As I said above, I was only recommending it as a quick test to help pinpoint the cause of the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found something out -

After further testing it isn't the device, it was the DVD recorder outputting artifacts. So I don't need to get another card

Edit: I tried the DVD recorder with my dazzle and the lines weren't there. That just proves that Dazzle reduces the quality.
    Quote Quote