VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some "letterboxed" VOB's that were converted to "letterbox" from "full screen" source material. I no longer have the source material and would like to make them "full screen" again. Then author them to DVD.
    What's the best way to do this?, Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it went from fullscreen to letterbox?

How? some serious image cropping, or is there black bars on the sides as well as the tops

typcially things go from letterbox to fullscreen by cropping out parts of the so its at fullscreen resolution

can you post a screen shot of the video an give the dimensions of the viewable video
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Galactica,I dont think it was cropped. It looks sorta streched and squished. This is the info ffmpeg shows--- VIDEO: mpeg-2, size: 720x480, 23.976 fps w/3:2, 9800 kbps. AUDIO: ac3, 48000Hz, 448 kbps.
    Here is a screenshot--> http://homepage.mac.com/djhep/SCREENSHOT/
    Thanks
    djhep
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also,
    When the VOB's were converted to "letterbox" from "fullscreen" I was trying to back them up using Disco. The first disc image came out right, "fullscreen" like the source material. For some reason the second disc image came out "letterboxed". I never realized the second image came out "letterboxed" until recently when I needed the backup cuz the source DVD was damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not necessarily the same issue, but that is what happens when I convert 4:3 vhs tapes on my standalone JVC dvd recorder (seemingly now matter what setting I choose).

When I go to view the new dvd on my computer screen, the image appears as letterboxed, with the black bars at top and bottom and the image all the way to the edge on the left/ride sides. This results in the image looking a little squashed.

At least on my computer PC's Sony 17" Trinitron monitor, I believe the video card automatically formats this displayed image, I'm not sure. I can adjust it to a standard full screen image, but then all the normally displayed computer screen images are no longer displayed correctly.

When I play back the created dvd on a 4:3 TV, it is full screen as it should be. Haven't tried them on a 16:9 TV though.

So, I guess what I am trying to offer here is maybe there is nothing wrong and it's only the way your monitor/video card chooses to display a 4:3 image. (I'm not sure if you've only viewed your results on the computer monitor or if you've tried it on your TV too).

Any way.. sorry for wasting your time if this in no way relevent, especially coming from a PC environment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears that you have a problem similar to the one in this thread;
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224603

If I understand you, video that was encoded at 4x3 has been flagged to display at 16x9. Since it's the independent VOB that is being displayed at 16x9, that means the m2v stream has been flagged. It would be easier to fix if it was just the IFO files that were flagged.

So, the fix is the same as it was for the other thread. Either rip the dvd down to streams (YadeX) and run the m2v stream through PullDownX (DVDSP would work great if you have it), or use IfoEdit in VPC to change the flag in the IFO files.

Unless someone has a better idea?

This might interest you;
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?A#Anamorphic
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First let me say thank you to Tugboat for the links.

I used YadeX to make elementary streams from my "letterboxed" 16:9 Video TS folder. I then ran the m2v file thru PulldownX to change the aspect ratio. Groovy. Worked awesome, came out "fullscreen" 4:3. After trying to do this for almost two weeks you can imagine my excitment. Then... when I tried to remux my streams (with every different remux tool I have) it did'nt work. I kept getting errors saying there was a problem with the ac3 audio stream. I tried ripping the streams agian with YadeX then 0seX with the same end result.
    Quote Quote