VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm still very new to all this and need some help. I'm backing up all my movies and have used DVD XCopy, DVD Shrink, and DVD Decrypter and am using Nero to burn and have only had a few problems. I cannot back up my National Lampoons Vaction. Freddy vs Jason and MAd Max. I have used all the ways that I have learned from this web site. Nothing I do works. Also when I use DVD Decrypter it outputs a file in a Roxio format and I can't do anything with it. I cant convert it or burn it. I have tried to remove Roxio from my system but can't. I have wasted over 20 DVD R's trying and need help. Please someone help me. Please email me at amygold@bellsouth.net
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, their is this great invention called DVD+/-RW's, I suggest you invest in a few of them.

Originally Posted by Cornbread
    Also when I use DVD Decrypter it outputs a file in a Roxio format and I can't do anything with it.
    What is a Roxio format? Are you ripping the dvd in File Mode when using DVD Decrypter? What happens when you use DVD Shrink. There is still alot of information that we will need if you would like us to help you.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The output I'm talking about is the Roxio burning program. It wont let me do anything else. I try to change it but it still decrypts the movie and gives it a icon that the Roxio program uses. I have set my Decrypter to the settings advised by this site. When I use DVD Shrink, it acts like its going to work but it stops and tells me that it has an error and cannot complete the process. Please let me know if there is anything else I can write to help you help me. Thanks Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  4. well you could always uninstall roxio....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Cornbread

To start with that 'icon' your talking about is just 'a file association'. Windows uses that so you can double click on stuff and it will open with the proper program. Some applications will "steal" that association and try to trap the unsuspected user into using their program instead of something usually better. The association is easily changed by right clicking on your file and choosing "Open With" then check the box "Always use this program" then browse and double click your program of choice.

It appears you have DVD Decrypter setup to create a disk image file of the movie and that disk image is associated with Roxio. If so then setup Decrypter to rip in file mode. It will display the files on the disk in the box and simply highlight the ones you want or select all files.

I've had movies that are hard to rip and most of them were either dirty or scratched. You can clean the disk if you be very careful not to scratch them. You can also clean your drive with a simple drive cleaning disk. I clean my drive often. Decrypter displays it's progress on each file and if it has trouble on one you can simply rip that file again later.

DVD Shrink is a very good program and I have few problems using it. The newest version is the best and I hope you are using it. I've got 3 versions of the program and if one gives me trouble I try the next version. V2.3 is also a good version. If you haven't tried it I suggest you do. It can still be found on the web with www.google.com

Good luck.
    Quote Quote