VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using DVD Shrink for years. It is easy to use, and can shrink my movies and burn onto dvd-r. Unfortunately, it is too old. Is there a newer version that has updated software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I get a message when I try to burn this dvd.

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Programing error - exception occurred
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVDshrink is an evergreen. It doesn't aged.

With any DVDs that it can read, DVDshrink beats any paywares and freewares.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use "DVDFab HD Decrypter" in the tool section to beat the DVD error, and deposit the uncompressed DVD files in folder, then use DVDshrink to process it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Aside from the error, if you want to get fast transcoding with a bit better quality, use DVD Rebuilder free version with Rejig. It takes maybe another 20 minutes but the results are better than Shrink for 70% to 85% compression range. If you only have to compress to 85% then Shrink looks just as good.

You can expand the decrypting powers of DVD Decrypter and Shrink by using RipIt4Me with those 2. But there are a bunch of decrypting tools that are free for the moment, such as MakeMKV, DVDFab Passkey etc.. as they are still in beta.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    using RipIt4Me
    RipIt4Me is OUT OF DATE shit-ware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    I get a message when I try to burn this dvd
    DVDShrink does not burn. It never has....it never will.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing View Post
    Use "DVDFab HD Decrypter" in the tool section to beat the DVD error, and deposit the uncompressed DVD files in folder, then use DVDshrink to process it.

This my method! Until I finally decide to buy the DVD to DVD option, then you can just select the main title and no longer would need DVD Shrink.

I then burn with ImgBurn.

Good Luck,
    Quote Quote  
  9. hech54 pontificates:

"RipIt4Me is OUT OF DATE shit-ware."
    No, it's not. It certainly balks at some of the newer/est protection schemes, but works like a charm on many others.

Worth keeping in your backup toolbox.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    hech54 pontificates:

"RipIt4Me is OUT OF DATE shit-ware."
    No, it's not. It certainly balks at some of the newer/est protection schemes, but works like a charm on many others.

Worth keeping in your backup toolbox.

That program was last updated in 2007. Looks like you could just use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink it will probably remove all the protections that RipIt4Me can. Still I would go with DVDFab HD Decrypter, use the uncompressed setting and then use DVD Shrink to obtain just the main title.

RipIt4Me
    Version 1.7.1.0 (22 March 2007)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cowboyup910 View Post
    just select the main title and no longer would need DVD Shrink
    WRONG. The main movie of many dual layer Hollywood discs is often larger than the capacity of a single layer DVDR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    just select the main title and no longer would need DVD Shrink
    WRONG. The main movie of many dual layer Hollywood discs is often larger than the capacity of a single layer DVDR.
    What do you mean WRONG. Use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip the whole disc to PC, you would have to set quality feature to DVD9 so that it says 100% quality. Then you can "shrink" using DVD Shrink and just select the main title and shrink it so it can fix to DVD5 disc. There is some lost of quality of course but it's your only option usless you burn to DVD9 disc.

What I was saying is if I had the paid version of DVDFab "DVD to DVD", I would be able to just select the main title and shrink it down to DVD5 standards, thus eliminating the need for DVD Shrink.
    Last edited by cowboyup910; 29th Jul 2010 at 01:39.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    If you just shrink the whole disc to conform to DVD5 standards, using DVDFab HD Decrypter and then again with DVD Shrink to maintain just the main title, you'll lose evem more quality. Right?
    Last edited by cowboyup910; 29th Jul 2010 at 01:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shrink won't if it doesn't need to, so if you reduce the size with DVDFab Decrypter, then use DVD Shrink to get just a main movie then you won't further reduce quality. However it is a still a dumb thing to do.

Personally, I use DVDFab for nothing more than ripping - either a full or main movie only depending on need. The few times I have tried it's encoding I have been very, very disappointed. I still prefer DVD Rebuilder with HCEnc for nearly all my size reduction needs, and DVD Shrink for re-authoring.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cowboyup910 View Post
    What I was saying is if I had the paid version of DVDFab "DVD to DVD", I would be able to just select the main title and shrink it down to DVD5 standards, thus eliminating the need for DVD Shrink.
    That feature is enabled when you first use DVDFab (free). I tried it and the results was baaad. At least DVDShrink produces good quality output (with quality enhancements turned on).

DVDShrink is remarkable software, even still today. It can edit vobs and maintain subtitles - something VideoRedo can't do (STILL!!). (However latest version of Womble MPEGVideoWizard now has subtitle support, I believe).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=chowmein;2005620]
    That feature is enabled when you first use DVDFab (free). I tried it and the results was baaad. At least DVDShrink produces good quality output (with quality enhancements turned on).

Yes I know, I have had my version installed on my PC for months, and the feature is off now. Never had any problems with quality, sorry for expressing my opinions, I guess its a dumb method.

How did we go from ripping to encoding? Two very different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Personally, I use DVDFab for nothing more than ripping - either a full or main movie only depending on need.
    Exactly. I'll rip with DVDFab to my HDD....then if I need to shrink more I'll do so.....simply because transcoding is always faster from the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well yes it did any always had, but you needed NERO installed as it uses nero's burning engine, don't know if it can use the later versions of Nero though.

POI: the creator of DVDshrink went to work for Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post
    Well yes it did any always had, but you needed NERO installed as it uses nero's burning engine, don't know if it can use the later versions of Nero though.

Actually, DVDShrink would launch Nero for burning. Down on the DVDShrink page in this site, there is a newer mod that will launch Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post

No it never did and no it never will.

It uses Nero or Dvddecrypter to burn because it has no internal burning engine or software.
    Also ImgBurn using the modded dvdshrink .exe
    Quote Quote  
  21. Use AnyDVD or whatever decrypter you want to remove protections and use DVD Rebuilder and HC Encoder (freeware) or CCE (shareware) to re-encode to DVD-5. Use ImgBurn to burn the backup to quality Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blank DVD+R discs booktyped to DVD-ROM. That is the best solution for a quality DVD-5 backup.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The solution is going to vary with the disc in question. There's no need to use HC Enc 2 pass if you're only going to compress to 97%. Likewise, if you're going to compress to 60% I'd say use DVD Rebuilder Pro using HC 2 pass best profile. With the pro version you get a copy of the encoder per core. It runs 4 copies of HC on my quad. It's only $30 for a never expire license.

These arguments that treat every source DVD as if it's the same are pointless. How you do it depends heavily on exactly what you need to do in the particular instance.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    I have been using DVD Shrink for years. It is easy to use, and can shrink my movies and burn onto dvd-r. Unfortunately, it is too old. Is there a newer version that has updated software?
    The Answer is....
    What is wrong with DVDSrink?, if it serves the purpose better than any others.
    DVDShrink plus AnyDVD plus ImgBurn is the one of the best combo.

I have being using DVDShrink when I was born and now it's more than 100+years, still I LUV DVDSheink.

DVDShrink is The Best Product from Mr.Bass, who suddenly disappeared without,
    Next Genrsation BDShrink (BD --straight to --->DVD).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    I have being using DVDShrink when I was born and now it's more than 100+years, still I LUV DVDSheink.
    LMAO!!!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from the error, if you want to get fast transcoding with a bit better quality, use DVD Rebuilder free version with Rejig. .
    Completely disagree.
    Rejig is not a very good transcoder. Not at all. It's inferior to the DVD Shrink processing.

It had potential, yes. But it never had updates after it's initial releases.

If you use DVD Rebuilder, then use a quality encoder with. That was the whole point of Rebuilder.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder PRO FTW!
    Quote Quote  
  27. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Use RipIt4Me 1-click mode just to tell you whether the disc is protected. If not, go ahead and use DVD Shrink. If so, use DVD Fab to rip it, then I recommend running FixVTS on that result just to be sure there are no bad pointers. Then you can use DVD Shrink on it as usual, however you want.

As for burning, use ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Aside from the error, if you want to get fast transcoding with a bit better quality, use DVD Rebuilder free version with Rejig. .
    Completely disagree.
    Rejig is not a very good transcoder. Not at all. It's inferior to the DVD Shrink processing.

It had potential, yes. But it never had updates after it's initial releases.

If you use DVD Rebuilder, then use a quality encoder with. That was the whole point of Rebuilder.
    The point is quality vs. time. Of course HC Enc 2 pass best profile is going to outstrip either Shrink or Rejig. But it's also going to take about 3.5 hours longer. I can tell you stuff compressed to 70 or 75% that looks pretty crappy as Shrink output, looks much better with Rejig, as used in Rebuilder. I'd rather go by my eyes than theory. And I've done enough of them to see the difference. It depends on what you want to do with the output. If it's a watch once throw away, I'm less prone to spend 4 hours processing it. You can compress more with Rejig run out of Rebuider, than Shrink and get the same quality to my eyes. They're the only ones I use to watch movies. I go by them, not someone else's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All these % rules are stupid. The % is based on the source.
    - 99% of heavily compressed sources will look terrible,
    - while 50% of superbit sources can look excellent.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    All these % rules are stupid. The % is based on the source.
    - 99% of heavily compressed sources will look terrible,
    - while 50% of superbit sources can look excellent.
    I'm talking about the same source. Take something that Shrink tells you it can compress to DVD5 at 78% compression, and do it. Input the same source to Rejig as done by DVD Rebuilder. The Rejig output will look better. Get it?

At about 85% compression and higher, there's no appreciable difference. So, if the source in question needs to be compressed in the range 70 - 80 percent or so, I'll consider using Rejig. If it's 85% and higher, Shrink is just as good. If I want top quality then I'll use HC Enc 2 pass best profile.

For the quickie jobs between 70 - 85 percent or so, Rejig through Rebuilder takes a bit longer than Shrink, but the improved results are worth the extra time. If it took a lot longer, then it wouldn't be worth it. It's a time vs. quality trade-off on a per source per purpose basis. If it's a watch once, it still may be worth the bit of extra time that it takes to split it up in pieces, and put it back together that DVD Rebuilder requires with Rejig. If it's a keeper, as you say, transcoding isn't in the picture.

Edit: One reason to do a quickie conversion down to DVD5 is for test burn. I often use a DVD+RW to see how things will look if I do the burn. If the DVD9 has to be heavily compressed sometimes DVD Rebuilder/Rejig will give me a better idea how the finished DVD5 would look if I processed with DVD RB and HC Enc or another. The output just seems a bit cleaner and it doesn't take that much longer.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 6th Aug 2010 at 15:04. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote