VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo, Many thanks for your reply. I will keep my backup in DV format. If need arise, just run thru HandBrake when I need to view on TV.

After many years in the box, my NEC chip PCIE capture card still works. Installing the driver did took sometime until I found this site.
    https://www.startech.com/en-sg/faq/firewire-cards-windows-legacy-driver-swap

ScenalyzerLive wasn't able to detect the handycam. A generous dose of contact cleaner did the job.
    A question to all Scenalyzer expert here, how to stop Scenalyzer from randomly breaking the up the capture files into smaller files. Some are just a few seconds long.
    I have set the max file size to unlimited.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Go to file/options and change to the values marked in blue:

[Attachment 64363 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dellsam34, Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More updates.
    I managed to get 2 pieces of Panasonic Digital Video Head Cleaner.

Next, I am considering either of the following to store the DV format files.
    1. WD My Passport 2TB USB 3.2 Gen 1
    2. Toshiba Canvio Advance V10 2TB USB 3.2 Gen 1
    Price wise, it's about the same.

Please help share your experience on these 2 external USB drives.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More updates.
    I was planning to use my Sony Handycam DCR-HC85E as pass through for the Video8. The HC85E has a white touch screen so there is no way to set AV input for pass through. The mini DV transfer via firewire using remote control and ScenalyzerLive capture is good.

Maybe the expert here can comment on my plan for transfering Video8 to mp4. Can I use this RCA to RF converter?

[Attachment 64455 - Click to enlarge]

Using this, I can connect the Video8 handycam to my DVB-T2 set top box. This set top box can record HD format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are so many reasons that either won't work, or would be a terrible idea even if it did work.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Maybe the expert here can comment on my plan for transfering Video8 to mp4. Can I use this RCA to RF converter?
    Are you serious or you don't understand what RF is?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can your DVB-T2 set top box receive analog TV?

I wanted to try something similar just for giggles, but my digital tuner can only receive digital TV, so it would not know what to do with RF signal from a VHS VCR.

Even if it worked, there are too many conversions along the way, which may - or may not - visually degrade your video.

If this works with your set top box, maybe use this setup to output camcorder information on a TV instead of the broken camcorder's screen, then set up passthrough mode, and use the camcorder in passthrough mode?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Analog signal =/= DVB-t2 signal.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Exactly. Some boxes can receive both analog and digital, other cannot.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What are you talking about? what has DVB-T2 a broadcast standard has to do with a camcorder, RF or composite. It's either I'm confused or you are, If I'm, could you explain further?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So let's assume that the OP's set-top box can receive analog and digital signals.

And let's assume that the OP can use a RF cable from the converter in to his set-top box.

But now it gets 'interesting'. A set-top box must be able to tune in to a frequency typically sent by the dish/broadcaster to distinguish itself from any other broadcaster. Surely a camcorder can not send a valid frequency so the internal analog tuner could NEVER find signal sent.

And even if all this is possible one could hardly expect the set-top box to record in anything other than SD.

One can call this 'Pie in the Sky'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for causing the chaos.
    My 80GB LG RH7215 DVD recorder used to cost me about US$500. The HD TV rollout took it out of operation.
    Now, I have this DVB-T2 set top box that cost me about US$25 + US$55 1TB WD USB hard disk. I am cheap!
    [Attachment 64463 - Click to enlarge]

It only take in is DVB-T2 RF. Output to RCA and HDMI and record/playback to/from USB.
    I think there should be a DVB-T2 TV modulator but it may not be cheap.

This one I "think" should work.
    Ladies and gentlemen, ezcap284.
    [Attachment 64464 - Click to enlarge]

Please share your thoughts on this thing especially its potential pitfalls.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know why you are paying for these useless gizmos, you can use that money towards buying a good Hi8 camcorder with built in line TBC and S-Video out, Capture lossless via a USB capture device and encode to h.264. But if you prefer the RF and rabbit ears way have at it, not to mention a DVB-T2 transmitter could cost few hundreds of dollars to few thousands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I don't know why you are paying for these useless gizmos, you can use that money towards buying a good Hi8 camcorder with built in line TBC and S-Video out, Capture lossless via a USB capture device and encode to h.264. But if you prefer the RF and rabbit ears way have at it, not to mention a DVB-T2 transmitter could cost few hundreds of dollars to few thousands.
    Thanks. Will look out for a hi8 pre-own. Already, capture mini DV (pre-own non-functional touch-screen handycam) via fireware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to borrow the Sharp Viewcam Z VL-Z950 to convert Video8 to miniDV from Sony Handycam CCD-TRV11E PAL.
    Here is clip from the capture. It's less than ideal. When I connect the Handycam to TV, it's play smooth.

Any tips on where I have done wrong.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    I managed to borrow the Sharp Viewcam Z VL-Z950 to convert Video8 to miniDV from Sony Handycam CCD-TRV11E PAL.
    Here is clip from the capture. It's less than ideal. When I connect the Handycam to TV, it's play smooth.

Any tips on where I have done wrong.
    250 Mbit/s? Did you load it into VirtualDub and saved a part of it as uncompressed? Why would you do it?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharp VL-Z950S.png
Views:	19
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	64660  

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It plays smooth but is too short to analyse. The capture looks like it is uncompressed (250mbps). It would be better to capture lossless (as opposed to uncompressed).

How are you actually capturing: what device do you have in your flow after the TRV11? I'm assuming your flow is this: VL-Z950>Composite cable>TVV11> ? Computer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you do it?
    Probably because that's what they thought was the right thing to do! I see no point in asking anybody "why" they do something.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Why would you do it?
    Probably because that's what they thought was the right thing to do! I see no point in asking anybody "why" they do something.
    The right thing to convert 25 Mbit/s DV into 250 Mbit/s uncompressed? What for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sry for throwing everyone off. Here is the flow.
    1. Sony Handycam CCD-TRV11E(video8) via composite to Viewcam Z VL-Z950(mini DV).
    2. DV transfer to PC via firewire using VL-Z950 and ScenalyzerLive

This snippet was taken from the main clip using Virtualdub.

This is the mediainfo of the main clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by pchan; 5th May 2022 at 01:52.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    This snippet was taken from the main clip using Virtualdub.
    You can use direct stream copy to save a subclip without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Double posting.
    Last edited by pchan; 7th May 2022 at 13:49. Reason: Double posting
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I manage to turn ON the AV to DV setting for Sony DCR-HC85E with white screen touch penal. It was tedious setting AV/DV to ON using touch panel and viewfinder. The Sony capture was a lot smoother.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The Sony capture was a lot smoother.
    I don't understand how you managed to make a choppy clip using the previous MiniDV cam passthrough (Sharp Viewcam Z VL-Z950).

Did Scenalyzer report dropped frames?
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The Sony capture was a lot smoother.
    I don't understand how you managed to make a choppy clip using the previous MiniDV cam passthrough (Sharp Viewcam Z VL-Z950).

Did Scenalyzer report dropped frames?
    I am guessing that the problem is due to this particular Sharp Viewcam. Videos taken with this camcorder have Scenalyzer error and on sometimes 1 or 2 dropped frames. On this particular video, it's very bad. I redo the AV/DV conversion and it's still the same. The video8 plays smooth on TV but mini DV is jerky and audio is breaking.

I also notice that stepping through the mini DV frame by frame on Virtualdub, some frames move backward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Finally, all the video clips are in DV format and stored in 2TB WD Passport USB drive. Total space is about 160GB.
    It all started in 1996 with a Sony Video8, Sharp VL-Z950E, Sony DCR-HC90(died, not in picture) and DSC-HX20V(2012).
    Recently, bought the Sony DCR-HC85E with defective LCD touch screen(white screen) for transferring video to PC. I finally was able to turn ON the A/V to DV mode via the viewfinder and touch panel. All the Video8 clips were capture via pass-thru in DV format. The Sharp VL-Z950E pass-thru was very bad i.e. dropped frame and error. All the Video8 videos capture were done with DCR-HC85E. From 2012 onwards, all video capturing were done with Sony DSC in AVCHD format with SD card.

[Attachment 64792 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote